Would you be okay with a platonic relationship?

I am asexual and a romantic and I'm curious would you be okay with a relationship that doesn't include sex or strong romantic feelings? You still feel a bond with them (think John and Sherlock) but its out of mutual respect and love. Pretty much what I'm asking, is could you be in a committed lifelong platonic relationship?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends
  • maybe

Most Helpful Guy

• Friendships and romantic relationships are not distinguished by sex.

Friendships are bonds between two people that consist of each one's desire to make the other one happy, as well as a certain trust to the other one.

In romantic relationships, this is only expanded by a promise. Namely, the promise to commit to that desire, and make constant effort to realise it for one another.
    In our culture, this is then furthered by sexual exclusivity, as well as romantic gestures, but neither of these have to be included for the concept of relationship to work out, per se. But:

Now, the question is: Can you find an sexually and romantically interested partner, and then commit to their happiness without providing them with sex and romantic gestures?
    I do not think so, because even if you were both okay with them sleeping with other people, they are most likely going to be encultured in the Western mindset that the value they feel for you should be met with intimate affection on your behalf. Not necessarily physically [because that could be taken care of by other people], but certainly romantically. People just want intimate things that they can only share with that one partner.

If, in face of this argument, you consider romance something you might actually have a desire for yourself, then yes, you might find someone who would want to share that with you, but have sex with others.
    The question is: If you are already interested in so much intimacy, why not also share it physically?

What Guys Said 5

• I'll be honest I'd probably not want to be in that type of relationship only because I know my sexual desires would get to a point where I "needed" some romantic attention. I would probably hope that a person who expected a relationship without sex would then be open to the possibility of an open relationship... OR since being asexual doesn't mean that you don't have sex at all I'd hope that the person would be willing to work on finding ways to satiate my sexual needs, because no matter how hard I wanted to not get aroused or sexually needy it's inevitably going to happen

• Fuck no. What you're describing there is best mates. If I'm in a relationship there's going to be sex.

• I could be friends with someone like this. It could be a lifelong friendship.

But much like Watson... I'd also get married to someone else.

• Are you asking if people could have a lifelong relationship like this, or if they'd have a lifelong relationship like this to the exclusion of a romantic and sexual relationship with someone else?

• Sex is very important in my life, it was in all my previous relationships as well as in current one. So, I have to say a big NO to platonic relationships. However, there are some asexual guys out there who would love that kind of arrangement. They are hard to find in your age group though :)

• For me... no way. To me,

"platonic relationship" = "friendship"

What Girls Said 7

• If you involve kissing, yes. Sounds pretty cool. I don't have a normal well-functioning sex drive anyway. My sex drive is like a chameleon. It is quite adaptable.
    If you don't involve kissing, hugging and other emotionally intimate crap like that, then no.

• Ugh I wish for this at the moment. I don't want sex right now. I don't mind kissing, but really I just want cuddles from a guy. Of course I want him to like me in a more romantic way, but not so romantic that we get too attached to each other.

• no, I couldn't. I'm not asexual and I couldn't be with someone who is. Sex is important to me

• Nope. I am not interested in.

• Yeah, it's friendship, and friendships last aslonglong as you make them last :)

• No that's friendship. I'd like a balance.

• Johnlock forever