What's with the obsession with height?

I copied this from my opinion on another question;
I would date someone shorter
I would date someone taller
I would date someone who is the same height
I really don't care about height and don't see why it can be such a big deal breaker to most people, i don't think it's fair you refuse to date someone who could be good looking and have a great personality, because of their height, something they can't control or fix.

Most Helpful Guy

• as someone who's 5'1 I can't really say much about height except that I wouldn't want to be with someone that hurt my neck but other than that I don't care too much about how tall a chick is.

with that said around 5'4 or 5'5 are where I feel comfortable looking up at someone without straining.

What Guys Said 13

• People like to make excuses for their failures by rationalizing things in a way that makes it not their fault. Case in point, short guys that have a hard time in the dating world are obsessed with height.

• And as for girls that refuse to date a guy based on height, I think they are rarer than people say (most girls can be won over by a good personality), but everyone has their turn offs and turn ons and I don't think they should be looked down because of them.

• ah... sorry but personally i want the girl to be taller than me basically...:-P

www.smiley-lol.com/.../napoleon1.gif

• The things the sexes worry about no matter what they are told:

Men:
    Penis size
    Height

Women:
    Breast size
    Weight

• It's just... weird for the girl to be taller. I can't help thinking that. So yeah I'd wanna be taller than the girl but it's not that hard to find a girl shorter than me even though I'm only 5'8".

• For some people it's a material factor in 'good looking'.

• Yes, height wouldn't matter to me on a girl.

• I don't get it.
    I guess it's easy to not be worried about height when you're a little tall.

• Good question.

• I think it has to do with societal norms and people caring too much about what others think.

• Yup that's true, but just curious how tall r u?

• I'm 5'1 but I'm only 14 so still growing of course

• but I don't get it why girls like tall guys even if the shorter is better I mean I am bit tall 6'0 but I have friends of mine who r shorter but better than me it's complete nonsense

• Women want tall men... Men want to be tall.. That is pretty much it Lol

• boobs and face are the only things that matter. screw height...

• It's mostly just a deal breaker for women.

What Girls Said 3

• A lot of it comes down to science and society in general.

Our brains are hardwired to choose a healthy mate. Shorter women tend to give birth to more children as opposed to tall women. I guess tall men seem like they could protect the woman well? They tend to have a larger presence. In life we are used to seeing men being taller than their girlfriends so we think of it as 'normal'.

Monkey see, monkey do. We have to fit into society hence we act like other people do, really. Of course height doesn't make a large difference on a person's personality most of the times, but it can determine whether we are attracted to a person or not sometimes.

• While I personally wouldn't discount someone on the basis of height (unless they're shorter than me and I'm only 5'2") I also don't think that its wrong for someone to discount someone based on height.

For a lot of guys they simply don't feel as attracted to girls taller than them as many girls don't feel as attracted to guys shorter than them.

"something they can't control or fix"
    yeah uh huh, we also can't control or fix our faces and bodies to certain extents- yes makeup and working out helps- but you're still basically the same person unless you resort to surgery and that's not really relevant here. Point is we judge people based on a shit ton of things they can't control or fix. no one controls their facial features or breast size or their general shape, but we decide who's attractive based on those things too.

• Because if I guy is taller than me, I feel more protected and he'll feel more dominant, in control and in charge if his girl is shorter than him.