Guys, how many MALES have gotten their heart broken?

You often hear that women get their heart broken and that men are not emotional. I am curious to see how many guys have actual felt love and have had their heart broken.

• Had my heart broken
    87% (186)
  • Never been in love
    13% (29)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll
Holy was not expecting so many comments. You all have proven me wrong.

127

Most Helpful Guy

• My heart was broken once. Since then I've adapted rather cold and (as some people that know me personally note) cynical and somewhat heartless attitude. Obviously I had plenty of girlfriends afterwards, but I never fell in love with someone ever since.

I don't blame her. I'd say it's about 70% my fault we broke up and about 30% her fault. The fact that we broke up itself broke my heart :(
    Nearly 8 years later I'm still somewhat sad about it when something or someone reminds me about that girl. She was literally a complete package a guy can ever dream of. When I accidentally learned from her distant cousin that she got married, I felt like shit. Some bastard out there has no clue how lucky he is.

I haven't seen a girl so far that's even remotely as awesome in all aspects (beauty, intelligence, attitude etc) as she is and I doubt I ever will.

Fuck :(

• I feel you bro. People say there will be someone out there who will hug you tightly enough that the broken pieces will be together again. I call bullshit on that. Once something had been broken, it can never, ever go back the same way again. I fell in love once, it sucked. Now I am just cautious about it, you know? I never tried to get close with a girl again.

• Я сожалею о вашей потере
      :s

• Yeah it sucks i feel you too I used to be really sweet and naive and then got my heart broken like 3 years ago and turned into a bitch for a while.. I'd like to say I am becoming a better person now but I also feel like there is no one as awesome as he was and all the men I meet are pretty much the same to me now

What Guys Said 126

• I just recently got dumped after a 4 years with a woman I thought was the one. I was always there for her sometimes for weeks on end when she had bouts of depression (was later diagnosed as mild bipolar). I even started window shopping for some rings.

Then I went through a tough time at work and personally, thought she would be there for me like I was for her countless times, instead called me "clingy" and emotional, because I cried once in 4 years (that didn't include family members passing). Keep in mind this is a woman who cried daily for several weeks at a time during her mood swings... About a month later she dumped me :(

• I think most people of a certain age, if they're romantics, have had their hearts broken.

I'm not sure if I would categorize my romantic relationships ending as having had my heart broken, but in other ways - like, crushes for instance, I've had my heart broken - several times, in fact. I've had my heart broken about non romantic things, too.

But as for girlfriends and "true love" - I don't think I've had my heart broken. It's hurt to break up, at least a little, but I never got to a point where I refused to notice that that the breakup was needed - I suppose my emotions were tempered by their issues. I wasn't affected because I didn't feel like I was at a point where there was enough romantic love (though it was appropriate for the amount of time we were together; unlike some crushes).

• I'm I the mist of my first heartbreak right now. I'm in love with a girl who is taken but she told me I have a chance of being with her and I was gullible enough to believe her. Even though she told me her bf isn't the right one for her and that she's tired of fighting with him she's still with him. She even told me she wishes he was more like me, that she likes me, and that I inspire. But I guess not considering that she's still with him. Call me stupid for sticking around but I fell In love and you can't control who you fall for. And love is a blinding drug. Even tho she changed me for the better I just wish she had never met her. Because it hurts like hell to be in love with someone and know that you may never be with that someone. I swear after grow the balls to walk away and get over her I'll never trust another female agin. I will never look for love agin and if I find my self catching feelings for a girl I'll leave her alone. Fuck love. I just don't wanna be hurt like this agin.

• I have never been in love but get treated like I am the scum of the earth anyway. I don't use girls for sex, I would not cheat on them and I try to treat them nicely but it all means nothing. I really don't know why I even bother.

• I don't believe in this there is someone for everyone, some people are not aloud to be loved in the way you receive from a bf or gf and I am one of them. Most people are married and have kids by my age and I have never had a girlfriend. My sister is getting married soon. So there is no hope for me.

• People say "it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all"

But after getting your heart crushed juuust the right amount, you start to wish u never met the person. Or hope they get eaten alive by mountain lions. Either one.

• CONSTANTLY... is it a damn shame?

• Im fairly sure more or less everyone has felt like theyve had their heart broken at one time or another.

For me it was sadly a case of un-returned love.

• Just wait when you're in a relationship and she breaks it off. The feeling is 100x worse I guarantee it..

• Yeah, a whole bunch of times. Don't be fooled by the whole ''guys aren't emotional thing''. Sure, on average, guys are less emotional and less sensitive than the average woman, but there are also a lot of sensitive guys out there who are emotional.

Keep in mind also that there's a culture with men that ''a real man doesn't get emotional because it's a sign of weakness and men are supposed to be strong''. A very dangerous and damaging culture in my opinion. It leads a lot of sensitive and emotional guys to act strong and act like they don't have feelings and emotions (and thus not deal with those issues in a healthy way) and it leads women like yourself to believe that guys in general aren't emotional and don't experience heartbreak, don't get sad, don't get lonely, don't cry, don't get upset about rejection, don't miss a significant other that they care about, etc.

Guys do feel. Even a lot of the ones that come across as tough and strong and unemotional; they still feel love, they still experience heartbreak. They just often won't express it in the most obvious and outward (and public) ways that other people, especially women, will do.

• Reading all these comments definitely made me realize that guys are emotional as well and honestly girls barely ever see guys being emotional especially after a break up or after rejecting a guy because he tends to act cold and ignore you, so we figure he just doesn't care for the most part.

• Unfortunately I've never been in love :( But I did like this girl once, I've never felt nothing like that towards any other person, I don't think it was love, but it was a strong feeling. I screwed up even when I knew she liked me, so I was devastated for a long time.
    I wouldn't say I got my heart broken since I don't think I ever loved her, but it still was tough to deal with.

• Feeling heartbreak is not the issue. Forgiving is what's hard to do. I just don't spaz out like I used to. Not worth the wasted energy.

• I was cheated on multiple times by my first girlfriend.

• Yes, that hurt really bad. We were together for 2 years and she got a job and pretty much told me she didn't have time for me, I pressed her on what she meant she pretty much told me she wouldn't even take 15 seconds to text me and that we should break up. But it hurt even more when I found out she was with some guy she meet there at work.

• Ah, that's nonsense. Men are probably more emotional over relationships on the whole than women. Yeah, the 10% of dudes who are hardcore players don't feel much, but the rest of us get very hurt when we lose someone we care about.

• I rarely date because I'm picky about who I date... I've had my heart broken many times, and yet again about a month ago by the most amazing girl I've ever met... Instantly friendzoned because she now says that "you know the kinds of guys I date," meaning Latin and black men... when a few months ago she said she'd date a white guy if the right one came along.

We haven't talked in a month after getting really close.

• Several times...

Had been in a relationship for 4 years and living together.. visited my parents.. Called on a weekend to chat with her; Got told she has found a new partner and only had business to get my stuff out. Never saw it coming.

Next relationship: Thought I met a great girl.. really kind, sweet etc... 4 months later from starting to date, was going to write a hidden message on her phone that I think I love her (as she had also grabbed my phone and browsed through it, I didn't think this was any violation of her trust) and bumped into a ton of messages from another guy.. Knew I shouldn't read them... but I did - and found out she had been sending nude pictures to said guy.
    A few months later after the breakup, she starred in a p*rn . No idea how I read her personality so wrong.. I guess the previous relationship had me wanting to believe in something good way too badly.

The next relationship: Dated a girl who was clearly in need of help... in a bad situation with her rent, had attempted suicide a year earlier and felt like such a damsel in distress, so I let her move in with me. It went well in the start and she seemed really sweet.. but once she got her life together - she moved out on her own and shortly left me. Only stayed with me while she needed the place to stay. Classy.

Previous relationship: A girl who was dating another guy fell for me and I fell for her.. she dumped her boyfriend for me - found her own place and we kept at it despite it being a rather long distance relationship. Had to turn down a job because I got depressed when my father was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor in his lung and got really bad.. She then left me saying it can't work - because of one turned down job. Hoped we would've stayed friends; but she has never talked to me ever since and never responds to me if I try to ask how she is...

Being single's feeling pretty damn safe and don't know when I dare to even consider trying again.

• (Oh but let me add that only the first story and the last story in that comment can be really considered LOVE... the few relationships were.. crushes I suppose. Sure, it hurt when they dumped me aswell, but probably really not love yet)

• You should watch out bro, women who leave their bf for you are probably/likely going to do the same to you :/

• I am hurting bad at this very moment. But after some tears, which I'm not ashamed of, I'll move on. She was my first gf, and hopefully won't be the last. I'm lucky I have plenty of time on my side.

• Well to be male, I need balls, and since I can't talk to this girl I don't know, I guess I don't have balls... So you're asking the wrong person.

• Well, I think most guys have experienced heart break at some point. But as far as not having emotions, that's not true. Men do have emotins. But when men simply "feel" something, they can mistake it for love.

The most common feelings I'm referring to:
    Like
    Infatuation
    Possessiveness

• Hell yes. When i found out my first wife was cheating on me, i packed my bags and walked out, toughest thing i've ever done.
    You will second guess yourself and go round in circles with what if's and maybes, but from experience and chatting with others at support group your gut instinct is usually spot on and stick with it.
    And yeah i'm man enough to admit that until you "cry it out" you'll never get past it.. Hope this helps

• Got my heart broken when I was 17... the first girl I really ever went out with. We worked summers together, and she was 19. She was from another town and only came up during the summer. She tried several times to get me to give it up to her, but I held my ground. lol

Anyway she moved back to her town, and I decided to drop by to a party that she was having at the end of the summer... I met her usual boyfriend at the party. Needless to say, it was a disappointing outcome.

• Most people think being heartbroken is getting dumped or rejected by the girl you like. Not always.

Seeing the person you love more than anything, that has kept you going for so many years through thick and thin, seeing the hurt in their eyes and knowing that the person is dying inside, and you can't do anything about it. That is heartbreaking.

• The last girl, out of the blue, said she never wanted to speak to me again. This hurt because she never gave me a reason why, but just disowned me. This destroyed my brain. I've gone through depression, contemplated suicide, and I'm now more lonely than ever. Now I'm a mental prison, believing that no woman want's anything to do with me.

• I've been there. The girl cheated on me and it felt awful because I really, really loved her. And don't say guys are not emotional. I never cried or said anything but it I was disconnected from the world for months. It's like going on a bad trip that you can't go out of, terrible.

• Of course we get our hearts broken! Why else do you think that there are so many sappy love songs sung by men?

• the love of my life had to move away. was quite sad for a long time.

• Dated a girl for 3 year's and she cheated on me with one of her ex boyfriends. Sucks at the time but now I know that she was insecure and had to get attention from someone ALL the time. I would have married her too... and it would have been a big mistake. I still miss her from time to time but I know it would never work.

• I was in love when i was in college... but then she never like me.. and also when i learned that she has too many flings.. I knew there is no point in chasing her... So i almost got my ♥ broken but i saved my heart...😊 after that i just didn't find anyone.. just so busy, in my career...

During that time i aslo had some girls chasing me but unfortunately i was not interested in them...

• I fell in love with a girl from Texas. A long distance relationship wouldn't have worked. She was chasing me. She kept breaking up and getting back together with me. I couldn't take it anymore. I dedicate "We Are Never EVER Getting Back Together" by Taylor Swift to her!

I fell in love again with a girl closer to home. She and I went to my senior prom. Then later, I found out she cheated on me! She ripped my heart out. I dedicate "You're No Good" by Van Halen to her!

• Society tells you we don't have feelings and tells us not to feel. But that's bullshit, I'm a man, quite masculine, and have feelings because I'm mentally healthy

• I've had my heart broken, confidence shattered and self esteem obliterated in one clean sweep. Patched my heart, found some remnants of confidence but still looking for that esteem..

• More from Guys
    96