Why are people so hung up on height?

I will preface this by saying I'm a relatively "short guy", not quite 5'8". And I'll also say that I'm lucky enough to be married for nearly 23 years to a wonderful woman who didn't care that she was taller than I am; those are not that common. Before I met her, my relative lack of height was a massive impediment in the dating scene. (In that regard, short men can *totally* relate to overweight women, who endure a similar negative bias.)

That said.... can anyone (men or women) give a reason why, beyond social expectations, this is so darned important? Why do many men feel threatened in a relationship with a woman who is taller than he is when she is wearing heels? Why do so many women feel like guys who are less than 6' tall (or even 6'2") are not worth dating?

I just recently found this site and it's a question I've wondered about for 30 years now. Men AND women alike... is there a good reason for this preference, or is it some stupid social expectation that we just adopt even though logically, it makes no sense? Why should men be several inches taller than the woman they are with?

Most Helpful Guy

• Height gives off the impression of dominance and that he's more capable of protecting her.
    Instinctualy girls are drawn to this :/

What Girls Said 2

• It's always felt weird to hug short guys. It feels weird to lay next to short guys in bed, genuinely I don't like short guys.

• I just love having to stand on my tippy toes to get a kiss from him... I'm 5'7"

What Guys Said 4

• 5'8", and short?

gosh... after all most girls are under 5'8"... so why they care? : O

• Well, some women like to go out wearing 3-4" heels and they still want to be shorter than their man, which means they'd have to be like 5'3" or less. I'll admit my wife is a little self-conscious about wearing heels with me since she's an inch taller than me even barefoot (even as she feels bad for me about it), but I just don't understand the fetish for the "taller man/shorter woman" thing, that both men and women often have (it's not just women and I'm not blaming women here). I for one have never felt the slightest bit self-conscious or "inferior" because my wife is taller than I am.

• Humans get hung up on anything they can use to their advantage to mate. Whether it's the absolutely unimportant length of the penis, the completely irrelevant distance between the crown and the ground, or even the absolutely worthless color palette of your eyes.

They say that love and war, all is fair, but that's baloney. Now for sex? That's absolutely true.

• I have no idea but it's weird, and annoying

• No clue man. I'm 5'4" and current crush is 5'9" if not 5'10" in flats.