Why are Indians not considered Asian?

Why do people only consider this Asian
Why are  Indians not considered Asian?
But not this (Indian) Even though India is in ASIA!!!!!

Why can't you people accept the fact that brown people are also Asian not just chinese/korean/japanse people. Even Pakisatnis are Asian!!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• tell me about it! it is so annoying! people forget us conveniently...

What Girls Said 8

• I consider Indians and sri lankans to be Asian. For some reason Pakistani goes middle eastern in my mind ( I know I know they're Asian too)

• Indians are not considered Asians because they don't have the "Narrow" eyes that Asians have.
    For this reason Indians are considered to be Caucasians.
    But India as a country belongs to the Asian continent.

• "Indians are considered to be Caucasians" really?

• @YourFutureEx Yup, all racial classifications say so. The racial division actually stems from skull shape rather than skin color. Its the reason why white east Asians are considered mongoloids, while the browner southern europeans like Spain, Greece etc., middle-easterners and Indians are considered caucasoids.

• People base description off of what somebody looks like. I look like a European but I also have Native American (Asiatic) DNA. American people would describe me as "white."

• I am a complete mongrel, To the point that people in my own (Asian) country often cannot figure it out. It may come down to the simple fact that I do not have black hair? Unusual here, because black is the standard issue - generally no options on that. You are correct, it does come down to looks in most cases.

• That would be confusing. I have never meet a Philippino without jet dark hair.

• I think east Asians as "asian" is largely a designation in the US. In England, "asian" is like indian, pakistani, etc.

I think it's because in the US there are a larger percentage of east Asians than indians so by default somehow east Asians are supposed to representative of all Asians.

I'm Asian and I certainly don't look "asian" to the average American, lol.

Indians are considered Asian to me.

• Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese and Koreans have what people called yellow skin.
    Indians have brown skin and not yellow skin so maybe they thought that Indians aren't Asians.

I always consider Indians to be Asians. It is only on this site that I hear a lot of people say they aren't Asians.
    There are Indians in Singapore too. And Singaporean Indians are Asians too. No?

• I consider India Asia. I mean India is South Asia.

• They're next to middle east.

• Mainly because of cultural differences.

What Guys Said 19

• Geographically speaking yall/they're Asian image.slidesharecdn.com/.../slide-1-728.jpg
    BUT LOOKS WISE Arabs/Indians look nothing like what most people would consider a traditional Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) etc. When I think Asian I think i2.asntown.net/.../asian_girls_wallpaper27.jpg NOW she is Asian geographically, BUT MOST people would call her Indian without a doubt 3.bp.blogspot.com/.../...arees-for-dusky-women.jpg Hope i got my point across

Indian = Asians you guys aren't what the average person would picture in their mind when they think Asian though BUT on a map you guys are from their continent etc

• Screw my typing grrrrr

• From her dress only, not from her looks. I can think of at least 4 Nations where a change of attire would fit her as a different nationality. If I could get a photo into the comment field I would post pictures of my two daughters. They can carry off Vietnamese, Spanish, Chinese and more, they are definitely Asian, definitely Filipina, but one is an Actress and she has played many roles. Costume and make-up? I guess the fact that they both speak 4 languages fluently just adds to the confusion?

• I am Indian. I just gave an online test. The results are:-
    Your Result: Mixed
    89%
    You have many friends and enjoy them all. Your love of music is not set to one thing. When it comes to defense and friends, you all vary. You are proud to be you.
    46%White
    40%Asian
    22%Hispanic/Latino
    13%Black

==================================

The reason that we Indians don't know our race is that we don't have racism in out country, we have castism. We are divided into castes not in races like America.
    America being the most influential country in the world, it considers the people who look 'east Asians' to be Asians because they are in majority as compared to 'south Asians'

• C'mon bhai, castism doesn't exist now. It's only the rural population and that too very less

• @Rock99 - No here castism doesn't mean any type of discrimination. It's just dividing people for government records.

• Haan that's right.

• This reminds me of a Russel Peter's joke. I agree with you, but people just think of East Asians as Asians.

• But why? In Europe they consider Indians as Asian but in America they don't. Some say because the first Asians to migrate to America where chinese/japanese so they assumed all Asians are like that and they assume indians are middle easterners but we're not.

• The same can be said about Egyptians. Why aren't they considered Africans?

Or Mexicans. Why aren't they considered Americans?

Or Isreali Jews, Arabs, and Persians.
    Like the Indians, why aren't they considered Asian?

• A flaw in the racial construct design.

• To me Asians are Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, you got the point. Asian race so to say.

When it comes down to Eastern countries, we usually separate them into 2 groups: Indians (since there's over a billion of them) and Arabs (regardless if they are actually Arabs, or those are Iranians, Pakistanis, Turkish etc). Sometimes we use a collective word "Easterns".

• Well because for one reason they come from completely different cultures, nations and providence's Indian culture has had some influence in Asian culture but overall the two are quite different plus the only real similarity they share is hair color dark browns and blacks.

• Too be honest the question is stupid. You cherry-picked the "Yellow Races" and disregarded the Brown, but we are Asian in demographics. Indian, Filipino (Pinoy), Thais, Nepalese, Indonesian, Burmese, Sri Lankan's, the bloody lot. We did not set the boundaries where the Middle East stopped, and Asia begins South Asia embraces India. I think the number of daft questions on here can boarder on ludicrous. Google it!

• we have to separate them somehow... no?

• Raise your voice in UN general assembly... !!! I m with you... !!!

Russia, India, Pakistan, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Bhutan, sri lanka, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Georgia, turkey, Myanmar, Maldives, Yemen, Oman, Saudi Arabia, jordan, kirgizia, & other people of Asian countries will also support us... !!!

• That just how it is, don't question it. Some thing just doesn't make sense but that just how society view it.

• I think it's because they aren't normally called "Asian" or many people consider Asians being from the oriental/east (China, Korea and Japan) or south like Phillipine, Thai, Malaysia, Singapore and etc.

• Russian Caucasians and Native Americans are all Asians too, by the way.

• Actually, all Caucasians are technically "Asians" if one considers their place of origin. So are all Native Americans. That's what Native Americans and Caucasians have in common--their both Asians, just like Indians.

In fact, we're all Indians as the entirety of great Tartary was once known as simply "the Indies", being anythinh from India to the extreme east. That is why Native Americans were called Indians, as they were recognized to have migrated from the Indies, that is to say, from Asia.

• if indian are Asian. then russian are Asian, then white people are Asian

at last, we all are Asian

• Russians/people from Middle East would be Asians too if we did this.

• It's because they look different.

• It's just bad habit

• but they are. people just think its orientals because we are the majority

• Because people are poorly educated fools, that's why!