Girls, whats it like to date someone who is a year younger than you?

To date a guy who is a year younger than you is that really weird or awkward?? If you have dated someone younger than you can you please share? Would you date someone who is a year younger than you? I'm really curious about it.

• Yes
    65% (57)
  • No
    35% (31)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll
Thank you ladies for all your replies!!! This has been a huge help to me!

56

Most Helpful Girl

• l dated someone a year younger for about 6 months, and it was great, the only reason we broke up was because of distance. Personally, I think it depends on the maturity of yourself as well as the ģuy, because you need to be compatible! The younger guy could be the most mature in his year, but if you aren't mature then he could easily get fed up of you tbh.

What Girls Said 55

• hello NorCalGirl!

I am currently in a relationship with a guy who is a year younger than me.

There is not a huge age difference though when it comes to maturity, it wouldn't matter what a guys age is, he would always have enough room in his life to offer his best immaturity possible!

I have a close friend of mine who is partnered and had a child with a guy a year younger than her and he is the light of her life, they are wonderful together.

Age is just a number except for the instances of health and well-being issues, etc. But you shouldn't feel awkward, embarrassed or anything of the sort. If a guy feels right to you, it shouldn't worry you if he's 18, 28 or 58. If he loves and respects you but has his childish quirks, that's such a trivial thing that shouldn't matter :)

My current guy is the best guy I could ever have, and one year younger just means I deserve more respect as the older girl haha, and yes - he laps it up and has a jolly good time playing on the 'I am older than him' joke :D

Try the word cougar, men love the fact a woman is 1+ years older than them, and seems that the older woman, younger man scenario is trending to be a plus for healthy fun loving relationships :)

If you have someone in mind, pounce on him and bring out that inner cougar in you ;)

• It's only a year. Not a big deal, and not a big difference at all. I see you're 17, so dating a 16 year old wouldn't be mind boggling. A year difference at any dating age isn't. in my opinion.

• I definitely would not date someone younger than me. My current boyfriend is four years older than me and while sometimes I feel like he is lightyears ahead of me as far as his education and career, I think that we are on similar maturity levels. I want to be with someone who has their life on track and who is independent and already making something of themselves, not someone who has just graduated high school. It's not that there's anything wrong with 18 year old guys. I'm sure plenty of them are totally awesome! It's just not what I want in a relationship.

• As you get older you will realize that age really doesn't matter all three guys that I've dated in the past were younger than me by say 1 or 2 years and well they of course didn't work out because we were so different personality wise. I am now talking to some guys that are 2 to 5 years younger than me ( surprisingly the one that is 5 years younger than me is so mature is shocking. The others are yes say 2 or 3 years younger than me and while they maybe a bit immature they are so fun and when they do make a mistake they learn from it so they are becoming more mature)

• I dated a guy 3 years younger and that was a fail lol but I'm also mature for my age and he wasn't so it was just no.

I've also dated a guy one year younger than me and it didn't bother me at all.

I say if you like him, go for it!

• This is aaaaaaaaall about the age bracket, honestly. Between 15-21, I wouldn't've dated someone younger. There may have been a possible exception, but in general, the maturity differences really are that large.

However, I'm 25 now. If someone isn't starting to act like an adult by 23, they won't by 30 and age is less important than the quality of the person. In fact, my older sister ended up marrying a man two years her junior and there's never been any issues over it at all.

• At my age, not even a blip on the radar. He's more mature than I, and more responsible. But he's also the dominant one, he's in charge, and we both like it that way.

• Honestly it's not about age it's about the maturity! Sometimes younger people than you can be a bit more spontaneous and ready to jump into things... It really depends on the person.

• If it's just a year, I don't really care. Because I'm not THAT young, but if I was like 13 or something then I would think it's weird haha.

• I am currently dating a guy who is 1 year and a couple days younger than me, it's funny cuz when my birthday comes, I'll be older than him by 2 years but only god a couples days and then he has his birthday and it's 1 year again. But he's in the same grade as me but I'm old for my grade cuz I had to repeat cuz of location issues. But honestly I don't mind, it doesn't make a difference if he's a year younger or older, he would still be the same guy he is and I like him for that, and usually I like dating guys who r older but now that I'm dating someone younger I realize it doesn't really matter

• I personally have a two up two down policy, where I won't date anyone more than two years older or younger than me. Just keeps me organized.
    But, I did like this guy once who was a year younger, and frankly it was fine. We had the same relationship as we would have had had he been my age.

• My ex was 8 months younger than me. At first he came off pretty immature (We started dating at 15) but as our relationship progressed he actually became more mature than me. I'd say it just depends on your maturity levels. A year isn't enough that people are going to stop and stare at you like you're some cradle robber.

• I am currently interested in a man that is a year younger than me. He is a sweet heart. Gorgeous. Good sense of humor. Not too immature. Depends on the man, honestly. I don't think its a bad thing at all.

• I have and I would. =)
    But no more than 3 years younger (I say 4, but in reality, that would be too young for me)...

• My bf was a year younger than me, but mentally he was a lot older. I don't think age should ever be a problem. Some people are "old" for their age or the other way around.
    The only thing that matters are the feelings for each other. If those are good, than there's nothing to worry about.

• Only a year? lol my boyfriend is over 5 years younger then me and I love it. I always liked older men so I thought it would be too weird at first but once you really love someone you forget the age gap even exist and the things you do notice can be fun lol

• My boyfriends a year younger than me. No one knows because i look 16 but yea. Its no different than dating someone older. Lool

• I'm currently dating my first and current boyfriend who is 10 months younger than me. Personally, I found it weird when we first started out, but I got used to it.
    He treats me like a queen and I can say that none of the guys that I liked who were older than me treated me that way. Though it varies with everyone.
    Give someone a chance and it will surprise you.

• In HS my boyfriend was a year younger, but he had skipped a grade. It really made not difference. I have to say he was more mature than his age, had a high IQ and already had a part time business where he made about $1000 a month at age 17. Also a HS teacher had slept with him and taught him the ropes at age 15 so he knew how to do everything when we eventually started making love in college. (also, he claimed that although she seduced him, he just enjoyed himself with the teacher. This was years ago and I still run into him. He is just fine. My husbad is 3 years younger and that is fine.

• lol i like a guy who is a year younger than me and i have a crush on him but he's not mature enough yet xD

• I hate saying guys are immature, but it's true. I can't date younger, usually it's 2-5 years older. Perhaps it isn't immaturity but a lack of experience on the younger guys part.

• My bf is 2.5 years younger than me. He was twenty when we got together and I won't lie, the age difference shower to begin with, but he grew up a bit, I just remembered being the same when I was his age so I didn't mind too much.

• Probably not. Maybe like half a year or something. Guys my age are already immature. A year younger they'll be even worse. I'd rather go for someone older than me.

• no.. that's not weird or awkward. Age doesn't matter though..^^
    As long as they can compromise with each other, its the thing that matters.. I've also been linked with someone who has much younger than me. And it feels natural for me. It feels the same...

• Not really. At the end of the day it's all about mentality not just age. I've know couples who have 11 years age difference happily married and with a son, and the woman is older. You never know. It's how you are with them and how they make you feel at the end of the day. Those are the most important things

• I am a year older than my boyfriend and should be weird because I am 21 and he is 20, so I can't even drink at restaurants around him, but then again, it's still not weird. We joke about our little situation and he's turning 21 soon, so again, doesn't matter. Just take the age lightly, it doesn't define you especially since the time gap is so small.

• I wouldn't dare anyone younger than me because guys mature slower. I want someone older or my age because I will feel more comfortable around them. Younger guys would make me feel old and they would be more like a brother to me.

• It's really not a huge deal as a lot of people might make it seem, especially a one year difference. My last ex was three years younger than me. It wasn't a big deal to either of us. I didn't see him as a baby. We were both in our twenties. The guy in a relationship really does not need to be the older one. If there is both a genuine feeling and you have the same future dreams, then why turn it down because of a year difference?

• I am currently and Senior dating a Junior. it is not awkward at all. Who cares about age honestly its only because you are in high school and there are the titles to the age levels. One year means nothing as long as he does not act like he is younger than you. If he is still immature then i would leave that one up to your opinion of him.

• My boyfriend is 6 months younger than me. But we are both in college and he is a grade level below me (he was held back in kindergarten). It works out fine for us. One year is really not much of an age gap at all. As long as you guys are on the same page, who cares!

• More from Girls
    25