I'm confused.. he gave me his number instead of asking for mine?

I went to a social mixer/networking event for people in the tech industry..there were 100s of people there and I was standing in a corner by myself. This guy was also standing alone near me & we started talking about his work, our backgrounds, etc. He stayed by my side literally the whole night & went around the room with me to talk to recruiters (even though some of his coworkers were there). Towards the end of the night we went outside on the balcony & talked for quite awhile. When we were saying goodbye he gave me his number and said "Call/text me if you ever have any questions about the software industry, or if you just want to get coffee or something." I'm confused why he wouldn't ask for my number..at first I thought he was interested but now I'm not so sure? And if I text him first what should I say? Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• When 'He gave me his number and said...' he may have thought by him Initiating this gesture, that if he had at 'First' asked you for yours, he may have not wanted to blow it by having you think he was forward By------Ask me for my number.
    I see no harm in what he did here, dear. He and you appeared to have started off on the right foot all night and I also recognized some special chemistry that could very well Continue and bloom if you take him up on his gracious offer of... if you want just want to to get coffee or something...
    Don't be 'Confused,' he is Definitely 'Interested' or he wouldn't have bothered wasting his time with you at this social event. Instead, he could have put you on his pay no mind list and just stayed a wall flower... the whole night.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 4

• The confusion you feel is exactly why guys should ask the girl for the phone number. He needs to put his interest for you out there even if rejection might follow.

When a guys gives his number and doesn't ask for hers, the chances of her calling him are minuscule to none. It is the guy who has to take the risk of the rejection if he hopes to go out on dates.

What this guy did was extremely weak. It lacks confidence and shows low self-esteem. A message to guys: ask for the phone number if you like the girl.

• This is guy's new trick. Nowadays it is preferred to give number instead of taking risk of asking it.
    It solves two purpose
    1- He doesn't have to face direct/indirect rejection
    2- He ultimately shared his number. If she texts YAY otherwise move on.

• I think he was probably just nervous. All you have to do is send him a text and he'll have your #. If you text him ask how he's doing then say that you want to take him up on his offer to get some coffee

• He is interested he just put the ball in your court to see if you would make a move by giving you his phone number instead of asking for yours. I would say he is interested. If you are also interested I would say something to the effect of "hey it's (name) from the mixer, can I take you up on that coffee sometime?"

What Girls Said 1

• He gave you his number because he is interested in you. think of it this way if you call/text him then it might give if a sign that you are probably interested in him. He is probably interested in you because of when he said or if you want to get coffee or something, as in he wants to hang out with you. if you text i=him you should say something along the lines of "hey its__, just wanted to tell you i had a pleasant time spending it withyou. We should hang out sometime." thats if you might be interested as well.