Why is he telling me about his ex gf?

I know he likes me, I just don't know how much. Anyway, he told me about how he is happy that he finally get over his ex gf like 6months ago. He told me why they broke up and how hurt he was for a year. Her dad doesn't like him and she found a new bf that her dad approved of and dump him. He said he is very happy to finally get over her and can think clearly now. Anyway I wasn't going to reconsider him until I heard about his ex story because I thought he was a player. But after getting to know him a little I thought maybe he's not that bad after all. But why would he bring up his ex? I thought there's a rule about not bringing up the ex with someone you like.

Most Helpful Guy

• There are no "rules." Never think there are "rules."

People mention about "talking about the ex" being a bad sign because a lot of people who do, are not "over" their exes. By "over" though they can no longer be romantically interested but they haven't gotten over what has happened. This can be a foreshadowing of issues you may get stuck listening to or dealing with. If he only mentioned the ex from this time I wouldn't find it all that negative. But if he keeps bringing up hating his ex and stuff take it as a sign that he's not over her yet.

What Guys Said 3

• I guess he just needed that off his chest to say that, or to start a conversation or something like that. I would not say that these kind of conversations would mean directly that he is cheating on you. I personally know people that talk with their bf/gf about their exes and it is just to share stories with each other. I would not say that there is a rule in a relationship that you're not allowed to bring up your ex in a conversation because, for me, that wouldn't make sense. I think he just tried to start a conversation with you and I can tell you as well that bringing up a story of you and your ex (once in a while) is quite funny, as long as you both don't overuse the stories, since you both are the couple.

All I'm trying to say is that, for me, bringing up a story about you and your ex is normal and is probably to have a conversation, as long as you both don't overuse this topic.

• it's not a rule basically... it's called "sharing experiences" basically!

• I guess he just thought it would be better to open up to you, and not hide anything from you.

But yes, its usually a bad idea to talk about your ex with a new GF.

What Girls Said 4

• If you find that he keeps talking about her or their relationship, then he's not over her. If he just mentioned it that one time, he was probably saying it because he doesn't want anyone to hurt him again. Definitely monitor what he talks about because bringing up the ex on a regular basis is a red flag.

• He's just telling you that he can now think straight. Be able to move on from his past relationship into a new one (if possible) with an open heart and mind.

• he isn't over her.

• He's telling you that because he's afraid of that happening again. And maybe to make you a little jealous.😊since he does indeed like you.