My guy always hides his phone when he gets a text when we are together. Why does he do this?

I asked him and he says he is that way no matter who is around. but I am suspicious because he broke off a 5 year relationship 8 months before we started dating and I don't think that was enough time to get over her. he says he talks to her still but she is dating someone else. so I am torn about this. i donjt know what to think because I barely see him maybe once a month and he is very unavailable to me in many ways.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah... either he's a super private/paranoid person and doesn't want you to see his conversations even if they're totally harmless and innocent... OR, he's texting another girl. And here comes the tricky part... he might hide his phone because he doesn't want you to suspect anything and become jealous even though (!!) his texts with this girl are innocent. He's scared you might react badly. Or, the obvious (and probably most plausible reason) his texts with this girl aren't so innocent and he doesn't want you to find out that he's cheating.
    Regardless, you should probably ask him why he's being so secretive about his phone.

What Guys Said 7

• Because it's personal maybe?
    I'd do it so I'm not distracted by it.

• that means he has trust issues... unless you've looked through his phone before1

• People like you are why I don't have a phone.

• what is that supposed to mean? I dnt want to see his phone and wouldn't ever look through his phone, it just makes me uneasy when he turns his back to me to check his phone that's all...

• My personal opinion is that anyone who has their phone turned ON during a social event (e. g. date; meeting; concert) is a fucking asshole, women included. But that's another matter.

Your concern is misplaced. It's not about the phone. It's about you controlling him. You are obviously insecure, which is why I thought at first that "35" (your professed age) was a typo. You're behaving like a 15-year-old.

He has a phone and he uses it pretty much the way everyone else does (including you, very probably). Get over it.

• my ex claimed red flags about this. I am a private person but I also work and repair PCs on the side and Im a paralegal, I dont want my sig other knowing my business or personal information regarding things.

• Because he's a very private person.

• Clearly he has something to hide. The most common cause is most likely that he is cheating. It could be something innocent, for example it could just be someone texting about a surprise party your boyfriend is throwing you and that is why he needs to hide it. Odds are however that it is another woman.

• Probably seeing another girl, sorry to say.

What Girls Said 2

• For privacy.. Can be legit or suspicious.. My guy hides his too but I know with his job he talks to clients and privacy is important so I have no right to see. So depends..

• He's cheating, sorry. That's the only answer