Should I wait for him to work on his emotional issues or try to move on?

I met this guy on Match.com last November. Everything started off great and we decided to become exclusive in February . He is currently in residency and we don't have a lot of time for one another being as I'm in the medical field too. I enjoy our time together and try to make the best of it. The only thing is when we are together he has a habit of not opening up emotionally. He focuses on more superficial topics and if you ask about his past or relationships in general he will do a short answer or try to steer the conversation somewhere else. I believe he has been hurt in the past and doesn't know how to deal with it. I confronted him about it this past weekend because I believe good communication is a key to a relationship. He acknowledged the situation and told me I was probably right. He told me he is going to seek help because lately he hasn't been sleeping and his anxiety is taking a toll on his overall health. I told some friends and family about what is going on and they suggest for me to move on with my life and stop dating him. However, I still have a heart and I want to try to work on things. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you give him some time. a few weeks maybe a month to see if he truly does take steps to improve his communication. maybe talk to him about actively trying to become better about communicating. maybe when you do ask him a question that he gives a short terse answer to you persist, reminding him that he is working on communicating better and being more open.

you are right openness and communication are essential to most healthy and happy relationships. so if he doesn't work on it and show some signs of improvement then maybe you move on. but I wouldn't drop the relationship right now without giving him a fair shot and improving

What Guys Said 2

• Sounds like it's still too early for you to form a very solid opinion about it one way or the other. Have you had a chance to get to know any of his friends and/or relatives? Maybe you could talk with someone else close to him to get a little more insight that might help you figure out how to better relate to him to get him to open up more.

• I say don't put all your egg in one basket.

What Girls Said 1

• I will set a limit date of my "waiting him". If I see that the relationship might work, then I'll try it. But like I said, I won't wait him forever, I have my life and if eventually he can't be part of that life, then I'll move on.