23-year age gap relationship... can it work?

I'm a very mature person and always have been due to the absence of my father. I took care of my siblings, etc. And I have, for as long as I can remember, been more comfortable around older men. I've never had a relationship with some significantly older (although all of my previous boyfriends were a couple of months older than me). But last year during my summer holidays I met this great, intelligent, handsome men, We just started talking and it felt amazing. As I've said, I am rather mature and look older (that's what I've been told anyway). My point is that the guy I'm dating is 23 years older than me. I should be okay with it and I am for the most part. I have learnt from and about him and developed the depest respect. I feel comfortable with im, I share a connection I have never shared with no other... Maybe this sounds a little far fetched but I think he could be the one. He is extremely intelligent, well mannered and just beautiful inside and out, and in the future we are both willing to pursue this relationship.

I have no real personal concers of our age gap, but would it be accepted in today's society? Not that I care about what other people think (or maybe I do... I think we all do to an extent)...

Most Helpful Guy

• Alright, you are at DIFFERENT points in your lives. So no this is toxic. The fact that you need to STATE that you are mature really means your not. I can picture a five year old saying MOMMY MOMMY I am all grown up. Unless, you are at the same points in your lives. However, you didn't specify your age, technically, and you didn't say if you had asked him what he wanted out of this relationship , plus stating what you want out of your relationship.

• I'm 18 he's 41

• (JAW DROPS TO THE FLOOR). Darling, get OUT OF THERE. You are at two different places in your life. You CAN'T possibly want the same things. Think of it this way if you were one year younger, HE WOULD BE CHARGED AS A CHILD RAPIST OR MOLESTER.

What Guys Said 7

• It certainly can work, there's no real reason why it should't. You might raise a few eyebrows and get a few adverse comments, but you seem mature enough to dismiss these as just irrelevant, pure jealousy and not worth worrying about. The only thing that matters here are you and him. If you get on well, then go for it. I hope it works out OK for you. Take good care!!

• I believe you got the short end of that stick...

sure its not impossible, but not probable.

• I think you're thinking too much about the now. In the long run, you end up with an old guy you have to take care of in his old age. It can work, but you'll have to be willing to put a lot of work for it.

• As far as society who cares, will your parents be ok with it? It's your and his family I would be concerned about. If most everyone (there will probably be a few nay sayers especially if he has kids older than you) is on board then go for it.

• Of course it can work! Hurray! :D

• If it was 22 years I would say yes but 23 , I don't think so

• True love has no number. As long as you 2 are happy then all good. Follow your heart! Not a number

What Girls Said 1

• 18-41
    Different life stages.
    The probabilities of maintaining such a relationship are way too slim.
    But you won't listen to me and you will keep pursuing it.
    Anyway, it's your right.