Would you date a religious person?

would you date a religious person? to be honest i dont think i would... im kinda an anti-theist..I don't mind people having a religion, i just dislike pretty much all religions.. i mean pretty much all of them are sexist, especially towards women, violent and of top of everything, makes no sense and contradict itself a lot of the times
i apparently dated a religious guy, but he wasn't super conservative, so I seriously had no idea until he told me and i couldn't be less attracted to him... its very difficult for me to take him serious from now on

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 12

• I already did and she never shined her religion on me, she was chill. when it comes to dating I leave religion out of it and just focus on the individual. if they bring religion into it and it bugs the shit out of me then that's obviously a compatibility issue and the decision I have to make is clear.

• i guess in a short term kinda thing or a casual thing it might not be a problem (ofc my personal opinion), but when someone is dating someone for the long run personally i dont se how an atheist, or anti-theist and a religious person can for example bring up children togheter

• yeah it reminds me of that movie God's Not Dead. a Christian women and a super hardcore atheist man didn't work out, BUUUTT im inclined to say its not impossible.

• It would depend if they were intellectually open and interested in discussion. I'm agnostic. My wife was evangelical Christian when we started dating. I was interested in her views, in her beliefs, in what made her believe something that seemed so blatantly unbelievable. I was open to changing my beliefs, and we had long discussions on faith and truth and philosophy. Great discussions. For years. It was lovely.

She would more likely describe herself as agnostic now, I would think, our discussions changed both of our views on the nature of reality.

You have to keep in mind that most people are born into their faith. They are a Christian because they are born to Christian parents in a mostly Christian area. If that person had been born in India to Indian parents they would be Hindu. If they were born in Saudi Arabia they would be Muslim. Their understanding that "this is how it must be" is based 100% on WHERE they were born. Not on the truth of those beliefs, or the falsehood of those beliefs. So you have to accept the fact that those beliefs are not a factor in whether or not they are a good person. Whether or not they will love you, or that you'll get along, or that you'll have things in common, or that you'll have mind-blowing sex together. The only thing a person's religion means, in general, is "I was born in a religious area, and my parent's most likely practiced that religion". That's all it means. So if they are able to discuss it rationally, then there is nothing wrong with that. If they are open to changing their minds if presented a different truth, and if you are open to changing yours, then it can actually be a source of some incredibly deep conversations.

• Depends on how religious.
    My opinion is that the world would be an infinitely better place if all religions didn't exist.
    But I also believe of freedom to do whatever you want as long as your not hurting someone else.
    of course I don't have to be a part of it.
    So, when I start talking to a woman and we get to that conversation I just tell her what I believe. I am ok with the woman being religious as long as she does not expect me to be. I will not be going to church. I will not be praying at meals. I will not have religious things hanging where I live.
    If she wants to go to church that is fine.
    So the woman I am in love with does believe in God but is not a religious freak.
    It is really not that I don't believe. Since there is no way to know for sure, then it is possible. It is also possible that there is nothing. it is also possible that there is a million other things in between. We will all find out at some point.

• I would, as long as she doesn't impose her religious views on me.

• so you would date a religious girl for the long run? would you marry a religious girl?

• Well... yeah, but my original condition still stands. And if we do have kids, then I'd like her to allow the kids to choose their faith or be atheists. And I too wouldn't impose my atheism on her.

• So are you asking a question or bitching about religion under the guise of a question?

I would date religious or non religious people, because they're exactly the same. They're all people.

I think that your problem is pretentiousness.

• and why do you think this?

• I meant exactly the same as in human, haha.

• "So are you asking a question or bitching about religion under the guise of a question?"

Exactly what I thought also 😅

• Only if they don't really identify with it and don't really take it seriously. I don't like the idea of aligning my thoughts with the centralized belief systems just to gain some arbitrary sense of "identity" in this regard.

• im guessing that anyone that belives in sky daddy (s) takes it kinda seriously, i dont think someone that "kinda" belives in a sky daddy recognizes themself as a religious person

• Possibly but I think I can honestly say I wouldn't date an atheist.

• Im curious to why

• @Asker sure they have faith. I'm not ignorant at all. Atheism = disbelief in divinity = belief there is no divinity. I don't hate atheists but I do hate atheism. Denying the potential for divinity is vile and unfounded. It is the enemy of reason and truth.

Faith: : strong belief or trust in someone or SOMETHING

"And by the way how does believing in a non-visable ruler in the sky make more sense then not believing in it?"

Neither one of them make sense per se if it's based on blind faith and that's my entire point. Fanaticism is dangerous either way.

• @asker "i just dislike pretty much all religions.. i mean pretty much all of them are sexist, especially towards women, violent"

No. Christianity for instance doesn't preach violence. It preaches peace and love.

"and of top of everything, makes no sense and contradict itself a lot of the times"

Elaborate?

• As long as they don't attempt to press it upon me, the whole trying to convert people thing drives me nuts.

• For me I wish to date a religious girl, and as for u I would talk to u about religion if u want, and why did u didn't stand talking to him I mean we live I an a free world me as a believer most of my best friends are atheist so it's normal

• no, i do not want to talk about religion... and what do you mean by "why i didn't stand talking to him"? Like i mentioned, i dont care if people have a religion, i tolerate it, but i would never date someone that belives in sky daddies.. but thats just me

• one of the main reasons

• Ok I wish u to find the one who pleases u :-)

• Yes i would

• depends how religious they were...

• Probably not, I'm a jealous lover... I want it to be just me and my woman - if she's religious she's always going to put God before me. I imagine we'd disagree on all kinds of things as well, so I don't think it would work out.

What Girls Said 6

• It depends on how religious they are. A little religion is ok, but if they're hard core religious then we wouldn't get along at all

• Not a person who follows the religion so strictly to the point that it affects the relationship. Meaning orthodox religious men are ruled out for me.

• It is fine if he has a religion but if he become obsess over it and keep talking about his religion then it won't work out for me. i rather date someone who doesn't have religion beliefs then to date someone who keep talking about his religious teachings.

• It's a turn off. But on the other hand, if religion plays no big part in his life (he doesn't pray, go to church, wear religious symbols, or preach about his religion), then I'm not against dating said person. I've had friends who are religious and religion just never came up in our conversations. But I understand where you're coming from. I was also interested in a guy, but when I found out he was religious, it felt kind of icky.

• its okay as long as the person is not like obsessed by it

• I don't see the point of this question. I feel like you just posted this so others could see your dislike for religious people and agree with you. I think the real issue is not who wants to date who but the fact that you generalize religious people and have a strong dislike for anyone who believes in God without even giving them the time to get to know who they are. But I forgive you

• lol... i never said every religious person is the same, thats YOUR words. i dont dislike religious people, i never said that, i said i dislike religions. And i know most religious people are great people, but personally if a guy belives in a sky daddy my vagina tries up, and that is a fact

• you said you found him unattractive once you found out he's religious. whereas before that, you were dating him, so my guess is that you liked him as a person before you found out he believes in God. so yea, your words do tell me that you dislike religious people.