Girls: Do you think men should earn more on average than women?

So two questions: Do you think men should be paid more than women on average?

Secondly, do you expect a guy to earn more than you if you're going to date/go out with/marry him?

I get the feeling some girls think men and women should be paid equally yet they wouldn't consider a man who doesn't earn more than them.

• Men should earn more. I expect to date a man who earns more.
  • Men should earn more. I'm not overly concerned how much a guy I date earns.
  • Men and women should be paid equally. I expect to date a man who earns more.
  • Men and women should be paid equally. I'm not overly concerned how much a guy I date earns.
  • See answers
If you vote A or C especially could you please comment. I'm not going to learn as much from the people I agree with (those voting D), so if you expect to earn more please comment.
Any other opinions?

It's a relief to see the majority of girls are voting D.
Anyone else have a view on this?
It'd be good to hear from more girls.

Most Helpful Girl

• Men and women should be paid the same wage for the same job. I am going into criminal justice and it looks like I will be starting out in security earning about 30-40K a year. Not a lot when compared to the wages of my family members. But I expect to be paid the same wage as any male security personnel at my place of employment. I'm not going to go in there and be all like, "Hey, so I deserve 100K because I'm Ms. Special Snowflake" or whatever.

Am I going to go in and throw a bitch fit if I, as an employee of 6 months, am not paid as much as a male employee of 5 years? No. Might I throw a bitch fit if I, as an employee of 6 months, am paid less than a male employee of 6 months? Oh you can bet your sweet ass there will be words. I have been known to go to my employers and demand raises. I also get them when I want them. And you can be assured that I make damn sure I am doing the EXACT same job as the other employee. I'm not going to go in there and be like, "I only make $$ when he makes $$$ for basically the same job!" and then find out that he actually has different responsibilities than I do.

As for men... It doesn't matter to me what a guy makes. I'm dating him, not his wallet.

• That sounds completely reasonable.

• Omg your profile picture is so cute! :P

What Girls Said 7

• If it is the same job, same experience and skills should be same pay. But I can see if it is hard labour and if the paticular case the woman could not keep up/do the job the same why get paid the same, but if she could do the job fully/same, hells yes!

How much he makes doesn't matter as long as he is financially mature (able pay debts and bills and not let it go to collections without plans to rectify). I can be not working and yet more stable than some exes who get paid $20-30 an hour, it really was hard to respect them pissing money away and yet not pay their bills.

• That's sounds quite reasonable.

• I think people should be paid according to what they do and how well they do it. If a man and a woman have the exact same job and perform that job with the same amount of ability, they should be paid the same amount of money.

When it comes to dating I don't really care who makes more money as long as he makes enough to support his lifestyle. I want an independent, debt-free man (mortgages and student loans are OK as long as paying them off is a priority). I don't care how much he makes as long as it's more than he is spending.

• I agree, and you sound reasonable then.

• "Do you think men should be paid more than women on average?"

No. They should be paid based on their job, and how well they do it.

"Secondly, do you expect a guy to earn more than you if you're going to date/go out with/marry him?"

No. As long as we're financially stable, I'm happy.

• "They should be paid based on their job, and how well they do it." That's not necessarily inconsistent with men earning more on average. I think some people think men should be doing harder jobs and working harder.

• Sadly, three females in your poll seem to feel that way (at least to some degree).

• I knew some would, it's not that uncommon to hear women saying the expect a man to earn more, but I was interested whether those women would vote A or C.

• If we're doing the exact same job why should someone get paid more than me just because they have a penis?

• They shouldn't of course. I don't think men are intrinsically better or able to earn more, so I'm just wondering about those women who think their guy should earn more.

• If a man and a woman have the same job and they're working just as hard, then they should be paid the same.

• I agree with that. Do you think men should be doing different jobs (that pay more) or working harder than women? Would you want to date a man who didn't earn more than you?

• No, there are so many powerful women that can have high paying jobs and work just as hard as men. I don't mind dating a guy who doesn't earn as much as me, there are many more important factors that persuade me to date a person.

• Good to hear

• When men and women are doing the same job, of course they should be paid equally.
    I don't care about how much money a guy i'm dating earns. I couldn't care less.

• Of course men and women should be paid equally and I definitely don't care how much the guy I date earns. When I finish university I'll be paid more than my boyfriend and that doesn't bother me at all because we'll both work with the things that we love. And that's what's important

• I agree with you on that. It's good to see that the majority of girls have voted C.

• You mean D? :P

• Yes, D not C.

What Guys Said 6

• Lol, who thinks men should be paid more these days? You think it's the fuckin 50's?

• "You think it's the fuckin 50's?"

I'm not saying they should, and indeed I don't think they should either. I'm just wondering what girls think about this.

• Who ever works harder and longer should get paid more if they work same positions and same hours and just as hard then they should get paid equally.

• That's a good point!

• A man should only be paid more than a woman in the same job if he is more skilled and a harder worker.

• this is not 1950 anymore so no

• Women aren't going to be honest with themselves about this one. I think we all know that very few rich female doctors would date a guy pizza delivery guy. No matter how many other wonderful traits he had. On the other hand, men have little problem dating women that make far less than him. It is a basic law of attraction that a woman does expect her man to make at least as much if not more than her.

I think men should be encouraged to go into higher paying fields to find a mate. I do not think a man and woman doing just as good at the same job should be payed differently.

• "It is a basic law of attraction that a woman does expect her man to make at least as much if not more than her." That's why I'm trying to see if they think men should earn more on average (by working harder or longer hours or doing more challenging work on average), because if they don't I think they've got a pretty twisted view.