Is age really just a number?

What's your opinion on people dating with significant age gaps? Would you date someone extremely younger/older than you?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the maturity of those involved. I prefer larger age gaps, up or down, because I find it a lot more interesting. But for it to work you have to have similar personalities and interests. I love learning, and if a partner also loves learning (which is a trait I look for in a partner), then the age gap works out to be an advantage.

Take something like movies... if you have similar taste, similar interests, you are going to be able to learn about a lot of movies you may not have been exposed to. A person older will have seen different movies, movies that you would like if your tastes are similar, but haven't seen. Likewise, the younger person will have had different movies marketed to them, and thus seen movies the older partner may have missed. It works similarly for music, books... any kind of entertainment, really.

The coolest part (for me) is that it also works for philosophy and politics. Different generations are exposed to very different propaganda growing up. If you have similar viewpoints, sharing philosophy becomes incredibly interesting, and opens up new ideas and new avenues for intellectual exploration that is simply not present for someone that grew up in an identical situation as you.

What Guys Said 9

• It absolutely matters. Not a question.

If a guy 10 years older is dating a girl or vice versa. . its not saying the younger one is more mature but that the older one is immature for their age. Less of an issue when both are much older but you're generally at two very different points in life

• I dated someone 10 years younger and it was a disaster so personally I would say an age gap has very big implications.

• I once had a girl that was 10 years older than me. The problem for me was that she had a lot more life experiences than i did, and we could never talk about things like "do you remember back in the day" because it was always like " yeah it was before you were born".

• I can date 10 years up, I would probably go down to 20/21, 18 and 19 year olds are too teenagish mentally.

• No, not just a number. It has a huge impact on the person's mental and physical attributes.

• from age 20 and onwards its not a big deal anything below that is pretty iffy

• maximum +5
    minimum -5 age.

• I have never dated someone much younger. I would be open to trying it. I have dated much older and that doesn't work. Women freak out and feel insecure about their age. It destroys any chance the relationship might have.

• Yes, it is. Yes, I would.

What Girls Said 5

• I suppose it would be if the two people have and want the same things out of life in a relationship.

But I don't see that happening between an 18 year old and a 52 year old. It's probably extremely rare.

For just sex? No. They need to be 18 and above (16/17 here for some states, but the general rule is 18 to be safe) and then it's simply a number.

• Yes I'm 29 now but when I was your age 21 I dated a 63 year old guy and he was awesome with me and currently I've been seeing this 67 year old guy and he DOES NOT LOOK LIKE 67 but I like him I've always had a taste for older guys tho

• My limit is 4 years apart. But, if their my other half Ill make it 8 years or less MAX. I dont judge people that dates 20 years apart or more. Its just not my personal style.

• No I can't respect a grown man who dates a 12 or 14 year old girl

• I wouldn't mind dating someone 10-15 years older than me, but I'd never date anyone younger.