To what extent do you feel is necessary to know a new love interest's history?

Just wondering if this should be something I worry about. I had a great first date with a guy over the weekend after chatting online for over a month. He's obviously pretty smooth and outgoing, and he kissed me at the end of the date. He just came back from working in South America for an American company (for two years) a year ago and he's going on vacation to Asia next month with a female friend who lives in South America that he's still in close contact with. They're going to fly separately and meet up in Europe and travel there together. Sounds like they're pretty close and they've traveled together before too. It's entirely none of my business now but I wondered if those two had a history or something ... like what are the odds that someone would plan a big trip wanting to go with some girl living abroad. Some of my friends told me that women in other parts of the world love good looking, "successful" American men, hoping they'd take them here, so I'm sure this guy received a lot of "attention" during those two years. Just saying'. He told me about the trip in a lot of details actually and insinuated that there's nothing going on between them but I can't say he's being entirely honest since I don't know him that well yet.

Most Helpful Girl

• many people disagree, but this is almost paramount to me. i just like knowing their story, as id like them to know mine. i believe i have the right to know.
    it's honestly the difference between me saying yes or no.

What Guys Said 2

• Have you asked about this gal?

And yes, I've had experience with GCRs

• It's only necessary if you experience really weird or dangerous behavior... then, you need to do research.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm always curious about anyone new in my life. Whether they're just a friend or a love interest. So I always want to know people's stories. If we're dating or getting to know one another, then at some point it's going to come up.

• Very important. You don't want to fall in love with a psycho. Nothing wrong with doing background checks and finding out about who their ex's are...

• You mean like know about their likes and dislikes?