Can you be in love with someone yet push them away and be afraid to have a relationship with that person?

For example you fall in love with someone but start to push them away when you realize the relationship is getting serious because you're scared to be in a relatioship because of getting hurt in the long run?Have any of you guys ever gone through something like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people who do that are afraid of themselves. And yes, you can be afraid of getting hurt, but in the end, you are STILL running from yourself. Something deep down, an inner turmoil that you haven't come to terms with.

• Thanks so much for your answer! I agree! I guess people who run from love, don't love themselves and don't feel good enough.

What Guys Said 2

• What @kambo_trick3y said. Add to the fact that a person can feel overwhelmed at the same time. That'll throw things off.

• This happened to me. Everything was amazing, then she got worried, pushed me away and now we have nothing. I was so in love and she crushed me. I know she regretted it but the damage was done. After that and a couple of other previous disasters with women screwing me around, I will never fully trust a woman again.

What Girls Said 4

• Yes, you can still be in love and do that. For me I doubted my feelings for those same reasons. I continued dating that person while telling myself, every time I felt that doubt or insecurity, that it was going to be okay. Then at some point, I got over it. Or I made peace with it. And I realised that I did like that person.

• Thank you for your answer! So you had feelings for a guy yet kept him at a distance and were in denial about having feelings for him?

• Aww I understand. It's super tough! But it's always good to have an open heart and not let your past experiences get in the way.

• I know right! That's what I keep telling myself. What also helps is the realisation that you've cleared the way for an actual good guy. One of these days...
      :)

• Yep. I used to do that. I did it because I wanted to reject them, before they rejected me. I made myself believe the pain wouldn't be so bad that way but it hurts either way. Some people feel they don't deserve love either. That's another reason they push it away. They don't see what you love about them because they don't love themselves. That's why they say to love yourself first.

• Yes it does happen

• push and pull syndrome 101