Would you find it awkward dating someone in a wheelchair?

I'm in one myself, is it awkward to most people?

Most Helpful Guy

• It shouldn't be a problem what is important is what the woman is like rather than her situation.

What Guys Said 19

• Would seem awkward at first but I'd give it a shot. I imagine it would become normal to me in time. I've seen women in wheelchairs before I was attracted to

• ugggghhhhhh... sorry if i sound an ass, but... no basically.

we wouldn't be able 2 do... lots of things that way...:-/

• My building isn't wheelchair accessible so unless she was able to leave the wheelchair for a few steps, we'd always be going to her place.

That aside, I don't see it as a big deal, and if things got serious I'd look at a new place to live that was accessible.

• If you're pretty and nice, I can probably over look it I think

• No, I wouldn't find it awkward. My brother has cerebral palsy. He had a gf in high school who was in a wheelchair. I kind of had a crush on her. She played guitar very well. Very sweet girl.

• I wouldn't mind dating someone in a wheelchair of any other assistive device. Just because you have a disability doesn't make you incapable of love. I would never have an issue dating someone in a wheelchair. As long as you are good to me, and are nice, Wouldn't have an issue.

• It would be an adjustment, sure. If I loved someone though I'd never leave them regardless of their physical handicaps.

• The honest answer is yes of course it would matter. In world that judges everyone by credit, dollars, house, car, education, accomplishments, achievements...

How could it not matter...

The only way I think it wouldn't matter would be if I'm already in love with her and then she ends up in a wheelchair

I just don't see How our lifestyles would aligne... I'd be sacrificing instead of thriving unfortunately

• Wow that's pathetic

• Depends, I wouldn't date a jerk in a wheelchair

• No I don't mean a jerk just a nice guy but if he's also in a wheelchair then you guys would be able to share sooo much more than a person that is walking

thr person that is walking would have to adjust for you and you would have to adjust for them... but the one in the wheelchair understands you so well and you guys can bond so well

At least what I think... but if someone falls in love with you and he can walk sure I think why not

• I wouldn't mind.
    If someone minds, they don't really love you.

• No , the wheelchair would not be a reason for not dating a girl. I've never met anyone like that in my age though. I actually wonder now who you are:)

• I wouldn't date someone in a wheelchair. Too much hassle.

• well if you are in there forever yeah... i couldnt do it

• Harsh...

• Paralyzed from the waist down

• Thats difficult
      You should try and find a man who will be understanding of your condition...
      It will be very hard
      good luck

• Never really thought about it

• If they're fun to be around then absolutely.

• Not if I'm attracted to you.

• hell no , i would be more caring

• My cousin who's in a wheelchair, was actually engaged to be married. It didn't work out because he wound up cheating on her

• Not really. I suppose it depends on other things. If everything... worked as far as intimacy, then the other stuff wouldn't be an issue so much.

I've had friends in wheelchairs who are known as "the wheelchair guy" and friends in wheelchairs who are known by their names, even by the same friends. It's the attitude and what they do with their wheelchairs that makes the difference in perception.

If you were constantly using it as an excuse for not doing things, then it wouldn't be attractive; not because of the wheelchair, but because of the attitude.

It might make things a little trickier, (like certain wheelchairs are a lot more difficult to transport in my tiny car than others) but I could see myself working around it as I would with anything.

• Want to go out?

What Girls Said 8

• Not personally - I'm rather familiar with different disabilities and the perfectly normal people behind them. I had brain damage at 14 and learned to adapt and work around 'normal' things I couldn't really do, so even though I'm what most people consider average these days, I have absolutely no issue adapting a relationship to an awesome person. I mean, honestly, we should be adapting each relationship to the people involved, anyway, so it's not a huge leap.

However, there will totally be people who balk at the idea. All I have to say is - so what? Let them. It makes it really easy for you to weed out people you don't want to date, because that sort of mentality would end up making you miserable anyway.

• I obviously dont know you but from your opinion here i would have to say you seem like a seriously amazing person. Just to clarify, i am not hitting on you by any means lol, but i am just impressed by how down to earth it is and the integrity of your response

• I think of that scene from Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story when Linda visits Bruce in the hospital and says, "You know this thing is kinda sexy we should keep it after you're better."

The only way to relate is to imagine if my husband was in a chair. I would still love him, still want him, and be attracted to him. The chair would be something we would incorporate in to our lives. Being attracted to and in love with someone shouldn't have restrictions if one person can't walk. You make it work because the person intrigues you and you have a connection, no matter what it is about them that is different, period.

• If we ever got married I'd have the full on responsibility of being his caregiver , depending on his limitations. He'd really have to capture my heart for me to consider this
    I don't see someone I'm dating as just a date...
    If we click pretty well, there's always a chance our bond could grow strong and I could be with this person for a fair amount of time (even if we weren't to get married).
    I like to look at the situation all around rather than just seeing parts of it.

• Truthfully yes it is a little awkward. It's just one of those things that'd take getting used to. But if I truly loved them I'd look past the flaws they can't help (I have plenty of them myself). Anyone who doesn't like you simply because you're in a wheelchair probably doesn't love you and probably isn't worth the time anyways. If my boyfriend were to end up in a wheelchair I'd still love him (id feel sad for him) but id still love him. It would be a little different, yes, but I don't think it would be something I couldn't cope with.

• Not at all.

• It wouldn't be an automatic no for me but honestly I'd have to give it a lot more thought. That's possibly a big lifestyle change.

• I've met guys in wheelchairs I had an automatic crush on and for some reason I found them more intimidating than guys not in wheelchairs that I definitely find attractive. Like I couldn't just go up and approach them. But I'd def give it a shot:)

• It would be awkward but I'd learn to see past it.