Guy has 85 unread text messages?

What does this mean? I went on a first date with a guy and he went to show me something on his phone and it said he had 85 unread text messages. I gave him a little shit about it and he laughed saying that he is in a lot of group texts and also he gets sent spam text messages a lot (is that even a thing?).

Is this a red flag? I feel like this is something only the "player" type would do. Just thinking about the 85 text messages that are not even worthy of his time makes me cringe a little.

Okay.. everyone is calling me out for being insecure about such a small thing, and I understand that. I just wanted to see if this is common thing or if I should be worried at all. But I will drop it, thanks for the help.

Most Helpful Girl

• "What does this mean?"

It means that contacting him via text is definitely not the way to go.

Other than that, I don't really know that it means anything. If you feel like you can't trust him, then explain it to him.

What Guys Said 6

• I can vouch for him. Whenever people in my family include me in a group text, I end up with 20+ unread messages within a short amount of time.

• Are you fucking stupid? The fact that he had that many unread messages means he spent the last couple hours getting ready and thinking about you. I'd be more worried if he was thinking about other things instead of the date.

• I imagine he's telling the truth.

• Maybe he got into trouble for not responding to texts in the past so it's a warning to give him some slack or contact him in a different way.

• yeah. group chats add up like crazy.

• I don't imagine things are headed in a particular good direction if you've already found something minor like this to be insecure about.

What Girls Said 5

• I'd consider it a red flag. But then again, I am weird.

• Finally someone that isn't wrapped up into technology...
    My mind of guy!
    I would probably call him if I really wanted to speak with him.
    But really... making a big issue out of something like this is ridiculous.
    He already told you why.
    Text messages aren't my priority either

• LOL. No. It's not. He might have a bunch of group texts as he said and that gets quite annoying after awhile.

It's not like it's from random girls.

• You can receive sms for anything from a bill to pay reminder to a post someone put on a forum when you were the OP. If some chick was texting him 85 times, he'd be scared because that's pretty psycho. Don't let yourself get paranoid about that.

• I can believe the group text