Can girls who stutter ever get a boyfriend?

Okay so i have a stutter. But not where i repeat things or letters, I get speech blocks. Its like my throat closes and i just can't get any words out. It happens a lot, even when i'm relaxed. I basically avoid all situations where i have to talk to people, like ordering food, talking on the phone because it makes me feel so embarassed and people really don't understand. They think i'm stupid or something. I have literally never met anyone else who stutters. Its so frustating when i want to say something but i just can't. I really don't think i'll ever have a boyfriend because of this, How would i even talk to him?

Most Helpful Guy

• My whole life until about 2001 I had very very very sweaty hands. If you have seen one of those tiny dixi cups... I filled one in less then 2 min.. that is how bad they sweat. I was also very heavy as a kid and a nerd. So I had no friends and I just withdrew from society. I stayed away from any situation where I might have to shake hands or hold hands. That is very difficult for a man to do. Esp as he gets older. There were things I tried over the years but nothing really worked.
    I had no self esteem and no self confidence. Those early years affected most of my life.
    I still believe if I had the self confidence and self esteem at 20 that I have now, I would not have married my first wife. Although it lasted 25 years and I was not the one that wanted the divorce, I think I could have been much much happier. I put up with a lot and was very co-dependent because I thought nobody else would want a freak like me so when I found someone who did, I held on. I did everything she wanted to do, changed who I was, trying to make her happy. It was horrible.
    I knew about an operation in sweden that would cure it. It was when Botox first came out and I saw an article that said it could help sweaty hands that I checked with a dermatologist. he said that it would not help and even if it did, it would be hugely expensive. but he knew that they were doing that surgery in the USA, This was very early internet years. Might even have been late 90's instead of early 2000's...
    he suggested I get on the University of Michigan website and he thought there would be links.
    within 3 days I had narrowed the doctors from 6 to 1, had the operation booked, had airline tickets and hotel. found out insurance covered everything.
    My life has changed dramatically.
    I am trying to say things can change. Yours is a different issue sure. But try to find doctors that cna help you. Or at least a therapist that can help you work on personal skills.

• If you are willing to put yourself out there you will find someone. The right guy will not care about your speach issue. But it comes down to having the confidence in yourself to go out there and try to find him. I know from past experience that is WAY easier said then done. But remember the saying "fake it til you make it". As a man I have had to "pretend" that I am not scared to death to ask women out... until I got to the point where I wasn't anymore.. A therapist can help you get that confidence you need. It will come down to communication. If your up front about the issue, don't catch the guy offguard, it will work out. I am not saying it will be easy, but you can do it.
      good luck

• lol there's no way i would tell a guy upfront that i have a stutter!

• So you want to show up for a date and worry all the way there about how he is going to react? Instead of being honest and communicating and letting him know ahead of time. It shouldn't matter at all. If it does matter do you really want to date him? so you tell him up front then you don't have to worry about it. He knows what to expect and there is no issue.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, you absolutely can. I used to stutter when I was younger, so I understand what it is, and I don't judge people negatively for it. If I liked a girl and was attracted to her, I would be happy to have her whether she was deaf, a stutterer, etc.

There are plenty of guys who'd like to have you. Just work on the things you can control, like your appearance, your physical fitness, how you dress, etc. Do you think if Megan Fox stuttered that guys wouldn't want her? Guys aren't as judgmental about stuff like that as girls are.

• I think i'm attractive enough, obviously not like megan fox. I'm physically fit too. But i think if a guy did ever hear me talk it would be a turn off, regardless of what i look like.

• lol you're right but i think it's because i feel people have judged me on my speech. Especially in interviews or just talking to anyone in general. Like i can tell the way they look at me when i'm trying to speak!

Anyway i'll take your advice onboard and thanks for your help :)

• I know they've judged you harshly! And believe me, I know what that feels like! It really sucks, but you've got two choices: give up, or try to move on. I'm not a 'get over it' guy. Anyone who tells you that is condescending, dismissive, and facile of mind. You have to come to your own understanding with your past and all the bad things people have done to you. I still struggle with my own stuff all the time. But I refuse to be pushed into a corner and told that I don't count. I had to get down enough until I got good and goddammed pissed off, pissed enough to do something about it.

• I used to stutter for years but I slowly learned how to make it stop. It still comes happens for me though. I know your pain. I've even been in a fight because a guy was making fun of me. He was doing porky the pig impersonation so I sucker punched him when he had is head cranked back laughing at me, knocked his ass out cold. It was like a perfect blind side punch he wasn't expecting, years of anger and frustration released in that one blow.

You will find someone, keep working at your stutter, I think a stutter is cute anyway :p

• lol well done! Yeah i'm trying to work on it but i really don't know how to control the speech blocks, it just happens and i can't help it :/

• Yeah I don't think mine was as bad as yours. When I was in elementary school they made me go to a special class for like 4 years but I definitely still stutter sometimes.

You will find a good guy I'm sure. Don't worrie about it to much :p

• sure they can. and that speech block ain't a bad thing yo.

• it is a bad thing, have you ever met anyone who gets speech blocks? I could be halfway through a sentence and i can't even finish it.

• i don't think so, especially when they could have a girl that can speak properly.

• its not about trying to get the best girl you can, its about being with who you want to be with. people don't ever understand that, they always have a "the grass is greener on this side" mentality and that's honestly kind of a shitty habit to practice in life. i certainly don't want the best i can get, i just want to be with a girl i want to be with.

• I don't see why not. Plenty of people have speech impediments.

• lol plenty? In my whole life i've never met anyone who does!

• um you can't 'get rid of it'. Not at my age anyway. You can practice techniques to help you talk better but it will never be gone.

• Not fully, but with hard work it can diminish greatly. My uncle had a bad case when he was young and I still notice it some now but it's way better.

• I naturally stutter, and I get girlfriends!

Nobody's perfect. Don't sweet the small stuff. :-D

• lol i would consider speech to be really important! not small!

• My stuttering is probably as bad as yours... and I'm still a sociable person. You can do it!

• I wouldn't care at all.

• I've had a few ex gf that stuttered I always thought it was cute

• I can date a girl like that.

• Smoke a bowl and try again

• no problem with it, anyone who has a problem with it isn't worth your time

• I work with a guy who stutters and he is extremely intelligent.. it would not bother me at all

• yeah i'm not stupid or anything but people don't understand because its not common especially for a girl.

• I think it is more common in men for sure...
      Once I met this kid with a stutter I did a little research on it and it is actually pretty intriguing.
      He makes fun of his stutter just about every day..
      He is also the funniest guy I know

What Girls Said 5

• I'm sure you can, a friend of mine used to stutter, enough that it would take her a good 2-5 mins to just say a sentence, not exaggerating. She was 18 when she went to learn how to stop, she 21 now and speaks perfectly fine, you can't even tell she stutters. It's likes it's completely gone. During her stutter she still had a boyfriend

• Lol. Yes. I know some people who think it's a cute "quirk". :)

• Dont worry my friend has a stutter and still gets attention from guys and shockingly so do i and i have microtis stage 3 :)

• of course they can. If I were a dude I would think it is absolutley adorable :3

• thats sweet thanks :)

• I believe they can.