My mom says I have to leave him when he makes 18 ! Why?

My Boyfriend is 17 and I'm 15 we just made birthday in January , Mine is the 3 his is the 18 , , he was 16 when I started talking to him and i was 14 ! My mother told me "do you notice he is going to be and adult next year and your still going to be a minor " I said "Yes " and she said " I don't want him Getting in trouble , so you both have to split soon " I'm like " But we are only 2 years apart ! It could have chance with 5 years but he is only 2 years older " I want to know what's the problem? He isn't like 20 years old he is only 17 , and I'm gonna make 16 couple days before he is turning 18 !

Most Helpful Guy

• If you're not having sex, there should be no problem. If you are, that can be a bit tricky. If you do live in the Virgin Islands like you say there is a "close-in-age" law that would continue to let you guys do it

What Guys Said 5

• This is an unfortunate quirk of USA laws, I guess. In UK this is quite OK. It would be purely up to the individuals and their parents. At 16, you can get married in UK, as long as you have your parents permission. As long as no laws are broken, such as having sex before 16, there is nothing wrong. I think it's strange in US that you can possible leave school at 16 and be responsible enough to get a job, but you can't have sex until 18 and cannot drink alcohol until 21. I do stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    2 years is nothing, and as you get older, it will become less and less significant. At 26 and 28, 36 and 38 it's nothing.

• I live in the virgin islands , Which is U. S Territory , But we don't consider ourselves as American's.. We are Caribbeans , but anyways the legal age here is 18 and one can't be 15 and dating people 5 or more years older

• I understand, but I can't advise you to do that. That is your choice. Whatever you do, just be safe. Don't do something you might later regret.

• you can have sex at 16 in mississippi

• It depends on the laws in your area. He can get in major trouble in some places once he is seen as an adult. Check on the laws in your area. Some places have made exceptions to dating minors as long as their age is very close instead of seeing an 18 year old as being the same as a 40 year old.

• I think your mom is misinformed. Look up your state's laws on pedophiles. Most states allow an adult (18) to date a minor if there is up to 4 years age difference.

• you are legally fine to stay with him... the age of consent is 16 and as long as he isn';t 3 years older than you

• He was born in 1998 I'm born in 2000 sadly

• you two are fine... if you were 16 and him 21 it would be illegal unless your mother approved... but with parental consent, he could be any age... but if it's less than 3 years older than you, you can consent

• If you live in the United States, there should be Romeo and Juliet laws, which allows sex with a minor as long as they are within a certain age range (ex. three years apart, as in 19 and 16).

What Girls Said 1

• Depends on were you live in some places there is this thing called a Romeo and Juliet law. That law states that you can date an adult if over the age of 16 that is 2 years apart.