Would you date someone with mental health problems?

Mostly depression, but some mild anxiety too... and an eating disorder
<_<

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't. I have Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), Bipolar Disorder (BD), Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) - relates to not eating a lot, Social Anxiety, General Anxiety, and mild anger issues. I have a panic attack every time I am around large groups of people. I am in therapy, though. I also have a lot of trust/commitment issues. I don't trust easily at all. I also used to cut and relapsed recently and and still have many suicidal thoughts and cry just about every night.

I would hope that someone would date me even if I am a handful. I have a lot of bad days, but I also have a lot of good days too. I'm not easy to deal with at all and I have my moments, but when I do let people in I care about them with all my heart and would do anything for them.

What Guys Said 5

• Depend on what it is. If it just depression, anxiety , etc then everyone have that at some point in their life.

Not sure about eating disorder, it be fine if she seek help and want to deal with it.

• Of course. As long she is trying her best to cope up with them, I'd do my best take those things away from her, even just a little.

• Of course! That would be shallow and stupid not to if I really liked them.

• its not shallow to want to protect yourself from their crazy

• Yeah but if she is everything I wanted why give that up? Plus I can deal with anxiety in someone my best friend has it and I have known him for years and have had to help him through things. Depression would probably be better once your in a relationship and connected to someone.

• I've have those same issues minus the eating one.

• so...

• I. Mean is it possible to date a girl without a mental illness?

• Yeah I would. No problem with that.

What Girls Said 5

• Mental health issues aren't necessarily a dealbreaker for me, but I would expect the person to be seeking treatment for their issues.

It also depends on the issue. My partner has depression (which he is receiving treatment for), for example, but I don't think I could be in a relationship with someone who had, say, schizophrenia (my brother has schizophrenia, so I'm pretty familiar with it, and I don't think I could handle being in a relationship with someone who had it).

• If I fell for someone and I liked them enough to want to make a go of it then yes. You have to take the good with the bad and support the person you love with whatever struggles or conditions they have. I would certainly give it the best I could.

• it depends. If they were aware that they should get help for things like an eatting disorder or depression, and they were really trying to get better, then I would date them. But if they were the type of person who would go "No I'm fine! I don't need your help" then I probably wouldn't

• Nope, there are way too many fish in the sea to have to deal with crap like that. Unless, of course, the health issues were developed a long time after we started dating and I had already fallen for them.

• so what if they just lied to you and said they didn't have any, but then had a mental breakdown 2 years into dating?

• uhh
      i'm the one with the mental issues lol

• haha well then this is what he should be thinking... if he's a good guy worth keeping, he'll be there for you:)

• If I really loved them then yes

• just because you love someone doesn't mean you can deal with the crazy

• I would do everything I can to help them