How do I tell my boyfriend I selfharm?

I really like my boyfriend and he's told me everything about his past but I don't know how to tell him that I self harm. I just really don't want him to think I'm a freak or weirdo.

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering your age I'd say most girls your age do/have. It's a pretty common method of superficially dealing with problems. What makes you want to tell him?

• I wanna tell him because he's told me EVERYTHING about himself and it makes me feel guilty. Plus it's summer and he wants to take me to the beach and I don't want him to constantly question me about wearing sleeves

• I don't think you can tell him in a way that doesn't make you look bad. I mean, it's an unhealthy way to deal with stuff in your life. It's like saying "how do I tell my boyfriend I drink hair conditioner?". The only way it won't sound weird is if you find other ways of dealing with stuff that doesn't involve harming yourself, then when he sees your scars at the beach you can say "yeah I went through a hard time but I'm fine now".

What Guys Said 1

• better tell him as it is if u trust him?

What Girls Said 2

• he'll most likely see the scars anyway... better just tell him so he doesn't have to ask.

• Uhm, don't tell him, because usually self-harm is what psychos do. I suggest you just stop self harm altogether, since it does nothing... at all.

• Actually no people who self harm aren't psychos. They are people who are hurting in their own ways and dont know how to express their pain. I self harmed for a long time and im not a psycho. Self harm relieves the pain for some people. I know relieving the pain with more pain doesn't make sense but it makes them feel like they have control over their own pain instead of others having all the control

• I know what it is I did that when I was like twelve because people have told me that. So, I tried it and I was like this does absolutely nothing but make my arm hurt and then I have to hide it on top of that. I came to the conclusion it's a cry for help/attention and there are other ways of getting both. As far as inflicting your own pain, go for a run and your whole body will hurt. And for the record, someone always has it worse than you so wallowing in my own woes made me feel like an asshole.