Converting to a religion to get married?

okay so my brother is in love with this girl, they have been going out for 2 years or i think a bit longer. my brother is almost 30, and i think he's thinking of proposing to her soon.

but my family is jewish israeli. we were raised to only marry jewish girls. and i will only marry a jewish girl because the family i want to create is jewish.

as you may have already assumed, she's not jewish she's catholic but said she is willing to convert. but that is meaningless to me. there is no way she will give up eating cheeseburgers and bacon. i eat both of those, but i am still jewish by blood 100%, so it doesn't matter.

but when they have children, their children will have cousins and grandparents who are catholic. celebrating Easter , with baptisms and cristenings and communions, Christmas, going to church. that will be a part of their life as well just by having family associated with that. and i don't like the idea that my nephews will not be fully jewish. im sorry, its not racist, its just that way i was brought up. same way most fathers wouldn't want his white daughter dating a black man. its not that he hates black people, he just doesn't want it.

everyone, i wasn't trolling. and about the bacon statement, its true! if i convert to christianity, at the end of the day i am still a jew! and nothing will ever change that. judaism has become more of a religion over the years but it is now an identity and almost its own race. there are very few of us, and because of what happened to the jewish people in the past, it is a big thing to marry outside of that. if there's any muslims here, they get it

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 8

• see, this is exactly WHY I hate religions.
    What difference does it make what relidion she was born with if she clearly makes your brother a happy man!
    could people maybe for once focus on the important stuff?
    If she want's to convert, let her for chrits sake. If she doesn't who cares.
    Your brothers love life is none of your business. and what is so terrible about having christian reltives?
    I alsways thought racism is horrible, but this kind of religious racism is just as bad.

And who ever made you pope to decide on who is allowed to eat what? you said yourself that you eat pork. you are allowed because you have jewish blood and she isn't because she is a dirty chrsitian? If you eat pork, you are diesrespecting your own religion. How is that OK to you?

• "there is no way she will give up eating cheeseburgers and bacon. i eat both of those, but i am still jewish by blood 100%, so it doesn't matter."

Immediately stopped reading there because of your bad trolling attempt.

• lol why are you the only one who brought that up, such a ridiculous statement lol

• I understand where you are coming from, but it's not your choice or your life. That's his choice to make. You would be wrong to try to do anything about it. You say it is how you were brought up, but you fail to realize that he was brought up by the same people and in the same environment as you. He chooses to be open and not closed-minded. This is YOUR CHOICE to be who you are and think how you do. Do not blame it on others. A good brother would accept his brother for who he is and the choices he makes with HIS life. If you don't like it, then it is your choice to separate yourself from it. Do not try to control his or her life. Worry about your own.

• Simply put: It's none of your damn business. Get over it and move forward.
    You have no place or right to dictate whom your brother chooses to marry or what kind of lifestyle he creates for him and his family. That is HIS journey to walk through and experience: NOT YOURS. You are not running sh*t therefore IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU WANT. What you want is irrelevant because you are not in control of his life. You need to stop overstepping boundaries with your shamelessly intrusive attitude.

• What is your question?

• what the hell does it matter? even if she converts it means nothing because it is just a tag you put on yourself "oh im now a jew". But does she even believe in the religion? Will she suddenly switch her belief because she decides to be jewish? Then that is so fake/ Like: one day im gonna believe this, then that, then this...

I am an atheist by the way. But yeah... I would suggest to not give a shit. We all have similar blood running through our vains. These passed on religious things are just cultural. I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it personally. But some people are weird and do start to make big deals out of things like this. They would even give up someone they love because of a religion... and that to me sounds crazy

• So conclusion: he should stay with her, and they both should become atheists :P

• Are they in true love, then let them get married, it's not ur call, u may not like it but ur brother is making a choice his choice, not yours, maybe he wilk, become catholic, who knows but the point is maybe you can ask him why, or tell him are you sure but I wouldt suggest that, or leave it be, accept the girl into Judaism and be happy that your brother found a wife maybe their son or daugther will become catholic or Jew but it's down the road, you'll cross the bridge when you get there, do you want what's gest for your brother or what u want, it might even worsen ur relationship with your brother

• And? You want your brother to be unhappy because his children won't be what you consider 'real' Jews? You need to check yourself, friend.

What Guys Said 10

• it doesn't matter that you're not a racist, the only thing that matters is that its not your life.

• If a person luv u with all their Heart&Soul im positive that they will do anything and everything for u. Im willing to convert to Islam if the time calls for it cuz i adore Muslim cuties with passion! @arabianpwincess197 dont say "True Luv" is impossible 👄💋

• No it isn't lol. But if you convert for someone then its not really you believing in the religion key

• No thanks I'm not interested

• @arabianpwincess197 ma body is rdy... to convert to Islam 😅

• Wow, the hypocrisy, (or lame trolling), in this statement: "i eat both of those, but i am still jewish by blood 100%"

• Shalom and Mazel Tov. I think that it's better when you convert because you want a relationship and to please God, rather than just doing it to please people or uphold a tradition.

• ... and that's the reason why religions are unnecessary bullshit...

• "its not racist, its just that way i was brought up"

Seems you were brought up a bigot.

• no, i see judaism as a culture. just like how in america, the Asians must marry within the Asian community, the greeks must marry a greek, etc etc

• But you talk about blood too?

• Lol, really. It is his and her choice.

• Racist fucker

• So I guess it'd be easier for him to become a catholic then, wouldn't it?

• you, dear sir, have just earned a cookie!! you are so right :-)

• Haha..."same way most fathers wouldn't want his white daughter dating a black man. its not that he hates black people, he just doesn't want it"... You have tripped all troll alerts!