Is it alright for anybody to date someone who is as old as their father or mother?

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided or really doesn't care

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're under 18 and you want to date someone that old, then just stop right there!

No, girl! It's really not okay in the slightest! You may not realize it now, but that will have a significant impact on you. Whoever the man/woman is knows that you are vulnerable because you're so young and impressionable and they will take advantage of that. You'll think it's awesome that you can chill with people who are so much older, that will boost your ego and you'll feel that you're old enough to do other things (like have sex). It's manipulation. I think that's one of the reasons that there is a such thing as statutory rape... while having sex with someone so much older might be consensual, there is a looooot of manipulation going on; and in ways that are so not obvious to you that it only proves my point even further.

Trust me, I was "with" a 35 year old when I was 13 and it has taken me until this point in my life to realize that as much as he said "it doesn't matter because age is just a number", he was only taking advantage of my youth. Don't do it, girl!

What Guys Said 3

• Well, not that it's not ok or something, but it would just seem kind of weird. If there's that much of an age gap, there's bound to be so much difference that you would probably not see it work out in the long-term. Short-term might be cool, but it's usually too hard to sustain it.

Anyhow, if anything else, it's hard going to be hard to fit in with friends after that. Not to mention, even the most open-minded family members would feel strange about it I think. It's possible, but just not something you would normally see work out.

• If we were in ancient Greece "...like those boy lovers from Greece..." 300, but most importantly you have to be over the age of 18 then its all legal baby, like Hugh Hefner...

• If you really really think you like him you should go out with him (the age doesn't matter, love is what matters)

What Girls Said 5

• Girl, not at your age it isn't! If you're 35 and you're dating someone who is 55, that's one thing. Even that's a big gap. But if you're 17 or under and dating someone in their thirties or forties, just. No. I think the general rule if you're not done with high school is that you shouldn't date someone who graduated from high school before you started high school. Once you get older age gaps don't matter so much. But you're too young to be dating a guy in his 30s or 40s!

• Personally, I find that to be so wrong because dating an older guy that's WAY outta range is a little bit creepy... and I couldn't imagine someone as old as my parents to my bf.. I am more likely to give him the respect I would give to my father lol

HOWEVER, if you know you click and you are 200% positive and even more so that he is committed...then there is no problem.

But still.. its a no for me.

• It's weird to me. They're old enough to date your parents. Ewwww! That's like dating your dad's friend.

• If you are under the age of 18 absolutely not. It's not only WRONG it's against the law.

Underage girls who go after adult men, are normally called jail bait for a reason. If he is caught with you it will ruin his life. He will be dubbed a sex offender, or child molester for the rest of his life.

If you are 18 or older, there is nothing saying you can't.

• Uhhhhh that's a hard one! It really depends on the age difference! If its more than 5 years older then I would say its not ok to date the person especially if its a guy whose older!