Guys when you just start dating someone do you ever use the phone instead of text these days and if so what kind of convo warrants a call?

Thought I would ask since I know none of us like the phone these days but in my experience and through what I observe on here texting can often lead to miscommunication/ doubts at best and at worst be a relationship killer.

• I call to make plans after the first date or two
  • Anything that won't for in a twitter feed (not including random texts at work/ jokes and what not)
  • I avoid the phone at all costs
  • It really just depends
  • What's a phone?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 14

• Young people miss the point with the telephone. Texting is safe, because you need to have an instant response when the other person says something, and you can say more without expressing feelings. It is comfortable.

That is the problem. It is comfortable because it is not as expressive. What's more romantic: getting a text that says "you're wonderful!" or getting a phone call where your guy says the same thing? Texting is also ambiguous and often misinterpreted and we read many posts here where texting has gotten someone into a misunderstanding OR they sent a text to the wrong person and really landed up in deep stuff.

It may not be considered cool but you should all be talking to each other before your generation forgets how to talk; there' a whole lot more to it than just knowing the vocabulary!

• Why is everyone addicted or obsessed with texting? Is everyone so self-important that they can't be bothered to actually speak, like a human being? Especially during the beginning of a relationship. Call me old fashioned, but texting is not for me, at all. It's ridiculous to walk through a crowd of people and find virtually all of them looking down, texting frantically. How did we as a people become this disconnected, blank, and impersonal with those directly around us? Never mind the miscommunication issues you mentioned, which are also a huge issue, and cost more time to correct than was saved in the first place by not simply dialing and talking, like a human being, fully present in their physical surroundings and life.

• I don't know anything about texting but if a guy doesn't have the confidence to pick up the telephone and call you to initiate a date, it tells you immediately much more about him to which you probably will not find yourself interested or attracted. Nothing, no technology, replaces a person to person conversation. This generation seems to be filled with boys (not men) who know only how to passify their identities in complete anonymity, and lack the courage and social skills to actually have a real conversation with a women. And aren't they missing out...

• Very well said ! I just dumped a guy (age 43) because after a month he NEVER called. but would text first thing in the morning, in the afternoon then again at night every day, but the conversations were all the same generic small talk & lacked depth !

• That was the same guy in high school who had to tell a friend to tell a girl that he liked her...

• I call cause its more respectfull!!! Texting to make plans is something you do after 6 months of dating and you know each other but hey i also call cause i like to hear her voice

• I, personally, preferring calling or Skype over text. Texting strips out most of the meaning in human communication, that conveyed through tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, etc. The one and only fight I got into with my GF stemmed from a miscommunication while texting. We spoke the next day and were able to resolve it.

• I avoid the phone at all costs. That shit is annoying.

• I prefer to email plans of meeting up or doing something or exchange one or two long emails (like letters). Texting and having to constantly check a phone give me terrible anxiety and frustration to the point where I want to chuck the damn thing in the garbage.

At least with email I only check it twice a day: morning/night. Like the faster and more reliable version of real mail.

• It's practically a faux pas nowadays to call someone for something that isn't an emergency - everything else is just texts.

• I feel the same way and would only ever use it to hedge off doubts if I had to change plans on a guy last minute or something. Not an regency but if Im not blowing him off I would call, apologize and reschedule. Sure it can be done by text but for me it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll give a guy the benefit of the doubt but it is more likely to put me on guard than a phone call.

• I don't know I like to call, girls say they like to hear me talk sexy to them and I like talking so it's cool.

• Wth if I can't speak to a person in that situAtion I just move on

• I call to make plan after 2 or Dates.

• My gfs phone hates mine so we can only communicate over fb messages... Or in person,😃

• If a guy calls you, take that as a serious interest. Take that as someone who has confidence, integrity, and is dependable.

Texting has become such a social norm, it is almost sad. A call signifies a lot, in light of this reality. When I am super excited about someone I make sure I call because I KNOW that there are probably 30 others just as interested. And while it is possible to have a meaningful and deep conversation through text, a voice call has so much more to offer. You cannot edit a voice conversation, which has both positive or negative qualities regardless, nor can you express intonation, or the same level of authenticity and ingenuity. Again, both of those facts have their positive points and their negative points, however, when talking specifically about a romantic relationship, feeling their demeanor and tone authentically has a lot of importance.

Someone who is willing to actually call is willing to give themselves to you at a level that texters are not. That doesn't make the texters worse people, they are either simply playing the field, very shy, or insecure in some way.

• Prefer phone calls. Texting is for cowards

• i am very very very good at being sharp and witty texting, i'm so so over the phone when i can't see the other persons face, so why not play to my advantages?

What Girls Said 8

• well, since i AM older i prefer BOTH. i text good morning and what not and idle chit chat via text, but i like to hear my man TALK to me. you can hear the inflections in the voice and get a better 'read' on what they are saying and in what context things should be taken if you talk sometimes. but i usually ask the guy to call ME, if i want to hear him, otherwise, we just text a while, everyday... lol. so i say, again.. BOTH.

• I think when you first start dating, texting is enough. After a few weeks or months, or once you see the potential for a serious relationship, the phone becomes a necessity. Not just because it's more personal than texting, but because you eventually want to hear that person's voice as often as possible. Before my guy started his crazy school schedule, we used to talk for 2-3 hours per night (minimum) and never ran out of things to say.

Texting can definitely lead to communication mishaps as well as frustration at not having a more personal method of connection with your S/O.

• My boyfriend and I call each other once a day, usually its when he gets done work and we talk for a bit. We text the rest of the day too. Sometimes he will call me more than once a night, depending on what's going on. I like texting him better because I can get other things done like house work or watching a movie or school work while talking to him and I don't get too distracted. Since he lives an hour away, we don't get to see each other very much. So if I miss him too much, I call him so I can hear his voice.

• Calling is a great way to get to know the person, aside from video chatting. A call is personal and so underrated these days, romance wise. It's fun to just talk and get to know one another over the phone if it is distance, but I'd much rather receive a call to schedule a date so that we can meet and have these convos in person.

• I prefer meeting people in real life, if that, too, is an option? And to arrange that I use texts, though as little as possible. So much that can be misunderstood...

• I prefer calling, but I think most people don't

• yes sometimes call, sometimes text

• Well the guy I'm seeing we do both when not together. Sometimes he calls just to say I miss you, and I just had to hear your voice. We talk at night if we aren't together, right before we go to sleep. I think it's and makes me think he might be the one, because I know he doesn't like to talk on the phone much.