Dating out of race? parents would absolutely flip if they found out

Hi,

My parents were making some comments at dinner, some really negative ones about interracial marriage/dating. They're hardcore white nationalists, and are always talking about the "supremacy of the white race" and other blatantly ignorant topics. I don't share their beliefs, but they think I do because I just keep quiet whenever they touch on the subject. They are constantly reminding me only to date or have kids with other whites, preferably those with the same physical traits as me (blond hair and blue eyes), because "they're recessive and should be preserved".

They are completely fine with me being friends with anyone not white, just not anything more. And I've been almost-but-not-really dating a gorgeous girl of East Asian descent, and I know my parents would absolutely flip if they found out.

I'm really conflicted because I really want them to meet her, but I don't want them to be disappointed with me. What should I do?

• Tell them.
  • Don't tell them.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 7

• Tell your parents to snap out of it because its the 21st damn century!

• Well, you're awfully young to have a girlfriend, but you'll need to speak up to your parents at some point. I doubt that this young lady would want to be kept a secret, so stand up to your parents and tell them. Also, have a conversation with them about how you feel about their views, tell them your views, etc. They may not like it, but they'll have to get over it if in the future you date outside of your race.

• this is really sad to read. your parents should love you unconditionally and should support you ever step of the way. white supremacy is such a lie. you're in america and you're given a privilege to live freely, so you should really take advantage of it. fight for what you believe in. live how you want to live and love who you want to love.

• Put down your own views on interracial dating. Tell them it's your life and you won't allow their ignorance to dictate your decisions on who and who not to date.

• hmm 13 going on 21? don't say shit that you can't win your parents over with

• I think your parents views aren't that important as longs as you are with the person you love and your happy, your fine. My dad is black and my mom is white so I am totally for mixed relationships, but if your really have to tell your parent tell them when you move out and you are still dating her or another girl who isn't white, so then they can't make you break up with here because you are now and adult and you make your own choices.

• Don't tell them until you move out of that house then once your on your own tell them

What Guys Said 10

• Tell them you strongly disagree. Furthermore, when you are an adult and on your own, they won't have any say in it.

• I would tell them if I were you.

Just keep in mind that these types of people usually can't be reasoned with.

• Don't introduce them to her. They'll greatly offend her and ruin her day.

• If your parents are like that, then you're going to have a very though time growing up with them. If you decide to talk to them about this now, they will probably shame you and punish you for it. Try to pretend that everything is alright until you are on your own feet and then confront them. You might ruin your relationship with them, but at least you will have your freedom and mental health.

• It is are duties to piss off are parents. If they are not mad then you r not doing your job.

• Well your parents kind of suck.

They are too stupid to see past a skin colour. Screw your parents date who you want.

• A gorgeous East Asian guy? I feel like I got a chance hahaaha

• Tell your dumb ass parents how you feel. You shouldn't have to deal with this.

• Your parents are right.

• Why do you say that?

• Such a troll with an agenda

• Anything else you'd like to add?

Or, if it makes you feel more comfortable, "anyth1ng else ud lyke 2 +++"?

• They're going to flip on you and threaten to disown you or some sort. Ignorant parents like that have no chance of being merciful.