Why am I always the one asking questions to keep a conversation going when it dies?

Like during silences, I'm ALWAYS the one to ask a new question. And I've noticed this in a lot of situations with different friends. Should I not be trying to fill silence... ? Why do people like to sit together (i. e in a car or even over dinner) and be okay with silence? Someone please explain to me :P

Most Helpful Girl

• I love silence. I don't need to be talking all the time. I actually prefer silence over consistent chatter.

• Even when you're out with other people? You set up a time to meet and hang out and just be silent? (I'm not questioning you... just really wanna understand why :P).

• Hm alright that last sentence is really interesting. Yeah I'm usually comfortable with silence when I'm comfortable with the person, and it's someone I see a lot. But when it's someone new and I"m still trying to get to know them I don't like silence. Maybe that's a sign we don't click? :P

• That's a very likely sign that y'all don't click

What Guys Said 6

• well the person you're with either doesn't mind the silence or they're nervous as shit and can't think. I enjoy silence during music.

• "Only talk when it improves the silence." proverb. Some conversations are fascinating and revealing. Other times it is just nice to look at the other person. perhaps the guy is enchanted with your beauty and charm and is at a loss for words?

• Lol that's sweet. Is the guy okay with silence or are they waiting for me to break it?

• The first thing that comes to mind is you ask really bad questions and don't know how to capitalize on another person's interests very well. You probably try to compound but that doesn't produce a conversation so much as it does an interview and from there they just let you interview them.

• I can't get used to people who are so uncomfortable with silence. Some people just make me feel like we have to be talking 100% of the time if it's just us two. And I think I do most of the questions and I ask shitty questions.

• Because they are comfortable with silence. You clearly are not. I find that really outgoing people often tend to be that way because silence makes them feel awkward. They aren't at peace with themselves.

• Yeah I admit I find silence very awkward. But I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm not at peace with myself...

• Well if you're comfortable enough with it then even bring it up as conversation. Discuss that you don't mind the silence and you are happy to be with the person. Then you've addressed the elephant in the room and probably relieved your stress somewhat.

• It's strange to think about, but when you're on a date it's way easier to notice this silence, compared to when you're with a good friend or a classmate or a family member. Its not as bad as you think.

• Lol whenever there is silence after a conversation I always start laughing uncontrollably.

• So I'm guessing you don't like silence either? Lol

• Its not that I don't like it. Its just that it makes me laugh when people are silent and you look at each other lmao

What Girls Said 1

• you're boring them. if they were interested in what you're saying they would keep it going.