Is 29 too old for a 20 year old?

i really like this guy but he's 29... I'm more mature than all my friends who are older but I don;t know how I'd prove that to him... Is this a dealbraker because I already think it is, he hasn't shown interst even though we exchanged numbers

Most Helpful Guy

• you know everyone always says "I'm more mature" in some what, whether it be im more mature than my friends or I'm mature for my age to help justify the situation but the simple truth is he is just way older. you're still in a phase for experiencing the fun things in life, he's in a phase where he really has to settle down and stabilize his future. its not a good fit for most aspects in life, if anything, you two will enjoy each other's company a decent while, but it'll all come crumbling down when shit tries to get real serious, most likely.

What Guys Said 17

• the age difference is 45% of your age. When he was 19 and effing around, you were in elementary school, a child wearing white socks etc, I won't detail further.

What's his problem with girls 27-33 yo?

• If you both like each other I don't see a problem with having that age difference. I don't think any relationship will be completely perfect and I don't think age means that much if you're two adults that are attracted to each other.

• I don't see a big problem. You're an adult, you know what you're getting into. The age difference doesn't really matter unless the difference in life experience makes the two of you feel incompatible. Otherwise, you're consenting adults, do what you want.

I don't know how to tactfully broach the age subject with him and ask if he's bothered by your age. Just show genuine signs of interest and let him see that you're as much an adult as he is.

• @Kinstrme
      FIFY:
      "You're an adult, you should know what you're getting into"

• @jacquesvol I haven't seen anyone 29 years old whose age has allowed him/her some way to take advantage of a 20-year-old. If someone isn't competent at 20 years old to be dealing with a 29-year-old, then she probably isn't competent to be dealing with a 22-year-old either.

At any rate, if the relationship fails because the age gap makes them feel uncomfortably different, then it fails, and that's all. It doesn't mean that they can't at least give it a try.

• Well your age 20 and why would a guy 9 years older than you matter
    it's not a huge age gap between you two?

• Who cares about age. If you like someone, go for it. That's not even a huge difference in any case, but people too often get in their own way with concerns like this.

• I'd say that as long as it's not more than 10 years difference, then it should be somewhat okay. Then again, sooner or later age is going to be a factor growing old.

• Its not a huge age gap. If u both want it to work u it will.

• No it's not an issue what so ever

• No it wouldn't

• It's only a big deal really if you make it one.

• Its absolutely fine if you guys have a good chemistry then age doesn't matter :)

• 9 years isn't exactly the problem but it's the fact that it's 20 vs 29. If it was 23-31 that would be better.

• Once both of you reached the age of consent it doesn't matter, (which is why a 90 year old can legally marry a 18 year old, but a 19 year old can't marry a 17 year old) it doesn't matter.

• It doesn't matter in Law, indeed. However, age influences lives and health conditions. Thus there will always be that gap and often a difference in the kind of life each wishes or can live.

• Where I live there are 3 key groups that marry outside of their age group:
      1. Gold-Diggers
      2. Desperate people
      3. Anyone that's a "mail-order" bride

• No not necessarily, if he's not interested it's probably for other reasons.

• It's a little odd for a dude 29 being ok with dating a 20 year old. Yea I see how older guys like younger girls but it tells me something about the guy when he's actually willing to make it official

• what does it tell you?

• Well if I put myself in that position or see others in that position, it tells me he's not capable of finding someone at his level mentally and he has to resort to young minds.. Shows me he must be immature for his age. No matter how mature a 20 year old is, she's still 20

• I'm nearly 29 and I wouldn't be seen out with any girl under than 25.

Girls under 25 are stupid.

• If you both click then sure! It's fine in my opinion

What Girls Said 12

• My partner and me have the same age difference. We met when I was 19.
    Go for it !
    Why focus on age difference?
    A relationship could very well not work out with a guy your age.
    You take the same chance when you date older.
    you won't know unless you give it a shot.

• You're both of age so I have no feeling about it. Being more "mature" to me doesn't change anything to me. I highly doubt that a 56 year old and a 19 year old are going to have much in way of common and wants, but they may.

• I'm 19 and dating a 29 year old haha, it is what you make it..

If you don't mind about the age difference, or even really notice it.. Then that's how hopefully he'll feel too.

Have a chat with him :)

• Naw I don't think that is to old. Thought if he isn't showing any interest then maybe fine someone else?

• Depends on the person. I only date guys who are 4 years older then me or 1 year younger then me. Only exception would be for Tom Hiddleton or Leonardo DiCaprio.

• It's not a big deal.

• its not too old, if you were 18 than it would be (because he might use you because u were naive), but you are mature enough at 20
    do not worry , rlly.

• I dont think so i just turned 24 and my dude is 32 its all about the type of communication you guys have

• I don't think it's a huge age gap

• no, aslong as your ok with the age difference i dont se an issue

• i was with a 48 year old when i was 20 and we were together for around 3 years and only broke up because we both had to move. it was obvious we were being judged and people made all sorts of assumptions about it but we were incredibly compatible and although we were in completely different stages in life we still found enjoyment in the same things. age doesn't really matter

• 9 years is not a big age gap.