Should I get a girlfriend just because it's the social norm?

So I'm almost done with my sophomore year and it seems like all my friends are getting girlfriends and trying to set me up with differant girls. Not to mention my family is always on my ass about "finding a girl". But I don't feel the need to have a girlfriend and I still haven't had one. I feel like highschool relationships are pointless because after highschool the couple are more than likely to go in differant directions. Also, a girlfriend takes time and money out of my one true passion of fishing. So to the point, should I get a girlfriend just because it's the social norm and I don't want to appear gay? Even though I don't feel the need to have one?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't necessarily say high school relationships are pointless.
    We learn and gain experience from every relationship, so that we can carry that knowledge into our future one.
    We learn a lot about ourselves when we form a close bond with someone.
    Sometimes those things are good.
    Sometimes they are bad.
    Relationships can help mold us into more self aware and better human beings as a whole.

--------
    If you're not wanting to get a girlfriend because it's something you want, then don't get one !
    You have plenty of time to invest yourself and time into another human being.
    it's okay to be about yourself right now.

I respect your decision.
    You have your own mind and stand firm behind what you're ready/not ready for.
    You are making a mature choice.
    Some people try to follow the social norm and do things they aren't ready for.
    they end up regretting it and breaking hearts along the way.
    You aren't doing that.
    I think it's perfectly fine that you want to remain single for a while.

What Girls Said 5

• No! There's nothing wrong with waiting for the right girl to come along. In fact, I find it hot when a guy doesn't date every girl he meets.

• MY ONE TRUE PASSION... FISHING

nah don't worry dude. Don't fuck w/ girls. It doesn't matter. Grab all the fish your gay little hands can carry.

• The urge will come one day. I was pretty much like you throughout high school. Felt a crush here and there but being alone didn't bother me. When I turned around 20 that all started to change. You need the feel of another person's touch. It might not come to you now, but it will creep up eventually.

• I didn't get a boyfriend either until 19. I just didn't want one. Seemed like relationships were often short term and didn't mean anything.

• No, don't try to follow what everyone else is doing just because. If you don't feel the need to have a girlfriend, don't try to get one, it won't be fair on her or you.

What Guys Said 5

• You're lucky you don't feel the need. Cause I really fucking want one and I have tried harder than before to get one but it feels hopeless.

So no, if you don't even want one, don't get one. On the other hand, it'd be a good idea to get female friends at least.

• hahahha... don't follow norms... it's needless basically...;-)

• You don't have too. Just do what makes you happy. Screw everyone else.

• No it's not worth it.

• Well its a nesesary step to develop socially mate

• it isn't though

• what does "develop socially" even mean

• well if a guy doest experiment when he is young he will have a hard time meeting, attracting and keeping a healthy relationship due lack of experience he might become clingy, needy or something of the likes