Has interracial dating attempts ever failed for you because of cultural incompatibility?

ex. has a relationship failed, because you dont see eye to eye culturally, when you are stereo typically representative of your own race?
one example of this would be, are you a black women, considered to be very "black" in upbringing, who has dated someone who is white, who is also very stereo-typically white? and how did that work out for you?
ever dated a metal head? did he only listen to rock and not cared much for anything else?
and to the opposite, any white men date what would be considered somewhat stereotypical black women? and how did that turn out for you as someone not into or interested in black culture? ex. rap/r&b/church etc...

im new to this so forgive me if i am not aware of how things operate here.
also not just white male to black female obviously, i should have been more inclusive in my language, any cultural/subcultural racial crossover situation welcome.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not exactly what you're talking about I think, but I ran into a problem where an Indian-American girl I was dating felt a lot of pressure to live up to the expectations of her family and community and dumped me to marry the family friend they all wanted her to. She was an amazing young woman who for almost three years made me feel more loved than I think anyone can imagine. I "understand" why she felt she had to do as she did, but it was intensely heartbreaking.

It gave me a bit of a different perspective on interracial dating; people really do feel pressured by their family, friends, and community, and it does affect their happiness. Color is only skin deep, but our culture is part of who we are.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm black and I have a white boyfriend. He comes from a family who hates black people and while my grandpa is white he still hated white people. We have been together over 4 years and have a child. We don't let that stuff affect our relationship

• Nope. It hasn't failed for that reason.

• Yes & no. I'm not very "involved" in black culture to be honest, so I find myself relating to all kinds of people of different races in different ways. But it's better to be with someone who comes from the same background & upbringing, so I understand.

• I like white guys but I have to demonstrate that I hate them to please some guys of my race who hate white guys mostly because of jealousy and also because my family would kill me and there is not any support to couples who are not made of white girls and *insert man of other race* forced in political propaganda always showing the same old boring thing with white women only and boycotting other couples who are higher in numbers even with the same biased boring politics forced over last 11 years on the media and everything of USA.

Maybe they are intentionally biased to create a new social engineering involving only white women over these years and are against other couples, I don't know.

• I experienced culture clashes with a guy of the same race if that counts for anything. He was born and raised in Japan, and I in America. He was too traditional and I wasn't, etc...

• Nope my boyfriend is black and I'm Hispanic and it works out great

What Guys Said 5

• It can be difficult for many different reasons, including internal cultural clashes, and external pressures from friends and family if they're racist. Those pressures can drive a wedge between you or bind you tighter together depending on how well you both are able to face them. Oy, relationships are difficult enough! Good luck.

• Yes, I tried dating an American girl but our differences were too much. Not race but ethnic difference

• Yes. -----

• forgive me i should have made it more inclusive to others who would share similar experiences. i take it you have dated outside your race with people that stereotypically represented their ethnicity?

• not yet but I'd like to try.

• I'm American, she's Syrian. I have stumbled at times, unsure if a cultural reference I catch myself preparing to make would be understood, but she seems to put up with me.

It's been a real experience learning from her.

• interesting

• Tell me about it. We started out as pen-pals, of a sort, and things grew from there. I'm in love with a woman eight timezones away whom I've spoken to for hours and hours on end, but have yet to meet in person. Hoping someday to make that happen.

I just thank God her family has stayed safe in spite of the conflict.

• well i wish you the best of luck with that sir :-)