What's with all the mind games when it comes to dating?

It almost seems like honesty is looked at like as if it were clingy. Why do we feel the need to play games with the opposite sex? Can't call him after the date or you'll look desperate. Can't walk up to a girl and tell her she's beautiful without being called desperate. Can't message them often or you seem "too interested". It seems like we've lost the values of honesty, and instead turned it into a mind game of who can screw with each others head the worst. I lose interest in dating quickly because it seems like that's all people do these days.

Most Helpful Guy

• Anytime strong feelings like love and fear of loss, rejection, even success are involved, we build barriers to protect ourselves emotionally. Both men and women do this in their own ways individually. Even in the cases where two people are very compatible, getting to know one another, learning to communicate and build the trust necessary to get past those barriers is best done by taking things slowly. In my experience, the "games" are practically unavoidable, but can be fun rather than sick when everyone just stays cool and takes things slowly :)

What Guys Said 6

• nah i don't like playing those kind of games basically... not my thing.

i guess people tend 2 generalise

• Its ALL womens fault.

Women don't like you if you are slightly too clingy, slightly too macho, slightly too sensitive, slightly too funny, slightly too confident

Everyone has to be absolutely perfect according to women. thats why we have anorexic people, that's why suicide is the number one cause of death in men

Women are to blame for SO MUCH pain in society

Men are easy going, we don't CARE about flaws.

• That's extremely sexist and I don't appreciate that kind of input. Blaming one gender or the other is silly and the reason why there is so much separation and dissention between each other. Women who act like that (which is not all of us FYI) are extremely damaged individuals. I don't agree with anyone gender shaming. Men or women. There are many men out there who create as much damage as there are women.

• Umm I don't agree. What about all the guys after only the good looking girls? It is not a gender thing it a personality thing. Guys can be assholes and girls can be birches.

• Of course guys can be superficial too, just not as much as women in my opinion.

• I don't even know how to play that fucking game that's probably why I have such a hard time finding someone... But I do agree with you there are a lot of fuckin formalities, dos and don'ts... by the way I walked up to girls a large chunks of times I been told to fuck off (literally), because I hesitated/was nervous, so I have developed a kind of fear of embarrassment... Anyways I do agree there is so much politics and mind games I don't even understand it, maybe an escort is a better choice.

• That's a good point. I think a lot of that is just nervousness and uncertainty. With some confidence in yourself that will melt away and you'll know what you need to do rather than just guessing all the time.

• Honestly is the best policy lol

• I agree 100%. I don't really have the energy or time to waste my time, as well as someone elses.

• It must be an evolutionary thing...

What Girls Said 1

• I hate all that shit. If I ever got divorced, I can't see myself dating. I'd rather stay single and avoid all the politics. I like straight forward people.