Do first dates HAVE to be extravagant?

A couple weeks ago I went on a date with this guy I had just met (didn't even know it was a date at the time) and we just walked around downtown getting to know each other. My friend is making fun of that because when she was 15 a guy took her to a Japanese restaurant and she keeps saying that the guy I went on a date with shouldve planned something better. Was that necessary to say and was she right? Do first dates really need to be above and beyond?

What Guys Said 1

• No, save the super awesome dates and surprises for later.

The first date is usually fairly short, and all about getting to know each other. Once you know each other and there's mutual interest, you can start putting the time, money and effort into some proper fun adventures together.

• That's exactly what I said! (the getting to know each other part) like I don't like guys spending money on me as is. He even said next time he wanted to see fast in the furious or something.

What Girls Said 1

• No, it sounds like a nice one. It has to be nice enough to want to go on another but, not nothing to go all out.

• Exactly like some of us don't have money to spend on big dates. He even said that the next date he wanted to see a movie.

• Yeah. Id be happy just going to see a movie, going out to eat, playing games, going to the amusement park, or even staying at home all day cuddling and watching Netflix while eating Taco Bell for the first.