Can Long distance really work?

So i was on a dating site and messaging girls in my area when i get a hit on my page from a girl in the UK (I live in Georgia USA)

we kind of keep joking about meeting up in Guadalupe in the Caribbean. But then today she hit me with plane ticket prices,

I just wonder if it could work... and what the end goal would be for the two of us.

any advice on LDR's like this?

Poll below

• Yes
  • No
  • Its complicated. Here's what I think.

Most Helpful Girl

• If things get serious that means at some point someone is going to have to leave their everyday lives behind, pack up, and move. If both parties aren't able to handle that and mentally prepare for that kind of change then no, it isn't going to work. I think if that isn't the ultimate goal - to move and really get close to one another - then why waste time that could be spent on someone who lives closer to you?

What Girls Said 7

• LDRs can work when (and only when) there is a plan in place to actually live in the same place eventually. Pay in mind, however, that you don't actually know your partner until you have lived/been with them in the same city for a consistent period of time. Words are only words. You can't get a sense of what a person is actually like until they're physically in front of you.

• How do you decide if both people's lives are on different tracks.

• If you're never going to be able to be in the same place. Like, if your job never allows you to leave Georgia and she can only advance hers in London. You can usually tell when you talk about your aspirations.

• It could but not for a long time. you need face to face contact at some point. you need to be near each other. the physical aspect in a relationship is very important.

Good luck !

• How long for do you think a couple can be apart?

• Me and my bf have been together 2 years. Senior year and while I finished college. I went to visit him in December and staked with his family for 3 weeks. We then saw each other in Feb. I think once you actually have that contact its harder to be apart. We went a whole year before we had even met. We started talking on Xbox Live. For us the end goal was getting to a place of independence. We're both ready to start the adult chapters in our lives and I am in a place where I can move. In August right at our two year anniversary I'm moving to the town he's in.

• You had to see each other ! you had to make a connection !
      what I meant is staying one whole year with out seeing each other not even once !
      But if you do make contact it'll get easier.
      Don't forget ! there will always be there other people crossing you path people whom you spend time with in real life , people who'll get close to you and be a part of your everyday life , people who will make you realize the distance that separates you two.
      If you want this to work , you need to work hard and make compromise

• I think it can. I've been in a long distance relationship for about two years now. We have met, we have spent time together and that really helps. But, if it works is purely on you and the other person. You have to be willing, committed and dedicated. We try and find ways to see each other as much as we can but we also talk every night if possible. We may go all day barely talking but we make time every night.

• You really need to have an end goal. Ours was our 20th birthday. And you have to work towards it. Everyday. You also need to talk to her first. Make sure she's willing and committed. This can not be one sided. The bottom line of a LDR is sacrifice.

• LDRs work, they just may be difficult. But, I think you guys should meet if you really like her and can handle the distance.

• You won't know unless you go! Life is a beautiful adventure - go and explore :)

• It will only work if one side decides to relocate to the other's place.

• It can work, but you will be so sexually frustrated from all te built u tension you can't spend on each other.

What Guys Said 4

• I have/have had several long-term relationships, and they tend to only work out as long as they are not very serious. I enjoy having girlfriends all over to text with and occassionally visit, it's great! But whenever they turn somewhat serious, they never have lasted for me. I think it's due to trust issues and difficulty maintaining intamacy over great distance without being able to see each other/kiss/touch regularly. Give it a go, but I'd suggest not expecting too much.

• Having said all that, I do have a couple friends who met at a wedding, then maintained their relationship for about a year before she moved to be with him. Now they're married!

And I have another buddy who essentially did the same with a German girl, but he said it was super hard and expensive. So I doubt someone your age could pull it off.

• chances r "no"... but there's still a chance that it might work basically...:-)

• go study dude and find out

• Only if both people are willing to make the effort.

My sister broke up with her fiance recently. He went to a job in another city several months ago, and she was supposed to follow him down there later this year. But, she got promoted at work, and he started neglecting their relationship. He was happy where he was, she was happy where she is, and it became evident he had stopped caring, so they ended it.

I myself am in a long-distance relationship which has lasted much longer than theirs did, and from much further away, but she has started neglecting it as of late. She's in a very difficult degree program and I've tried to support her in any way I could, keeping my private concern private and giving her space, but these days there isn't much communication and frankly I have little idea of what's even happening anymore. I'm afraid things are going the same way between us as they went between them.

• All I can say is, if you do get into a LDR, communication is key. And if you want to end it, talk to them. Don't torture your partner in the relationship by ignoring it to death.