What is a "man's job"?

Why do most guys still think asking someone out or asking them to get with you is a "man's" job? Women have come a long way, we have rights (and honestly I think it's absolutely ridiculous and infuriating to think we didn't and we had to fight for them). So why can't a girl make the move? I liked this guy who also liked me but was too shy to ask me to get with him, so I thought I would do it. My friend presented the idea to him and he said that if I asked him he would say no because "that was a man's job". What's up with that?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like a jerk and someone that doesn't need to be with anyone anyway lol. He'd be the guy that worked and had his little baby maker wife home with the kids all day. Some guys that actually respect women as their equals admire a woman that's not afraid to ask them out. It makes "the man's job" easier and takes out some of the guesswork on their part.

What Guys Said 2

• Well, if he thinks that it's a mans job, then he's probably an idiot for 2 reasons...1. for having an archaic way of thinking in 2008 and 2. for listening to his friends advice. womens rights have come a long way, and that's cool. people should be versatile. asking someone out on a date can be anyone's job. somethings keep in mind may have an effect on a mans ego. I can say that changing a tire in the rain while on a date wold be something I would consider my job to do for example, but if she wants to play rock, paper, scissors, and wins then cool. ill pop the trunk and tell her the tire jack is on the left. I hope you get my point here. - j

• That's just ridiculous. I wish more women had the guts to ask me out. The whole "man's job" thing is simply a justification for cowardice.

If a girl I liked asked me out, I would breathe a sigh of relief, be happy all day, and go out with her! lol

What Girls Said 1

• I think it's a man's job. Men are supposed to be the hunters. If they want something, they go out and get it. If I have to ask him out to get him to go out with me, I feel like maybe he didn't want me that much because HE didn't ask. Now I don't think it's "wrong" if a girl asks out a guy, but it's better if he does it.