Guys, are girls with strong unwavering opinions unattractive?

I'm in a class where we get into debates sometimes. I voice my strong opinions about global warming, gay rights, and immigration. My crush sits in front of me. Would voicing my opinions be unattractive? What if he doesn't agree with my opinions? Would that be a turnoff?

19

Most Helpful Guy

• No. It's not unattractive. It's good to have strong opinion and stand your ground on some topics. It's only unattractive if your opinions only matter in everything and you never listen or cared about the opinions or thoughts of the guy you're going out with. If it comes to that case in everything, then it's bad and a major turnoff. From the sound of your description, you're alright. So, don't worry about it.

What Guys Said 18

• If you come across as a girl who already has her mind made up and who's not going to listen to anyone else, I'm thinking that you are too inflexible to be much fun. Is this what you want inscribed on your headstone?

Here lies Anonymous
    Died an Old Maid
    Never had fun
    But she was always right!

• If he doesn't agree with your opinions, and he and feels as strongly about his as you do, then yes it is unattractive. If he agrees with you then no it isn't. Typically having a strong unwavering opinion about something important is going to cause a lot of resentment from anyone that feels completely different than you do.

• I worry about the same thing but with girls. I took a lot of philosophy in college and I dropped it because I eventually realized that most of society does not care. I wanted to become like a more normal low-minded person so I forced myself to have less opinions and think more like normal people.

We all have opinions but being too opinionated separates people period. If you're crush disagrees with you he's just being opinionated like you. That's how opinions work and that's why I'm trying to have a healthy perspective about opinions in general.

All in all though it's not unattractive. Actually having some opinions shows that you have a brain which IS attractive. I met girls who had no opinion about anything and they were just so stupid and unattractive to me.
    So I suggest you don't have to change anything as long as you really care about your points of view then keep to them. You don't have to be a fanatic about EVERY opinion you have but having a few strong ones is totally reasonable.

If your crush is the guy for you he'll respect those opinions for sure.

• So yeah having opinions is good just don't be so adamant about every single one of them. Realize that there are more important things in life than being right. I think that's a healthy balance that will attract any decent guy...

• Depends. Do you make a point of injecting the subject where it doesn't belong? Do you browbeat those who disagree or stoop to ad hominem attacks? Or are you willing to let others get a word in edgewise and respectfully consider their views?

Long story short, do you tend to be a pain in the ass about it? Being informed and formulating opinions is a good thing. Being able to defend your position is a good thing. Seeking to start arguments with those around you and pressing your point until they submit to your will (in an "OK, OK, fine, whatever, just shut up already" kind of way), however, will turn people off to hanging around with you.

• I remember, I knew everything at your age too. :)

Believe me, in time, life will teach you otherwise.

• Also what @hypno-trip said. There are more important things in life than being right. I know from personal experience, it's easier to stomach losing an argument than losing her.

• Yeah I never said I know everything it's an opinion not a life choice

• No I like strong independent women

• No, it is a trait of a superior person.
    In regards to your crush: if he finds it attractive then he's likely worth pursuing, if he finds it unattractive and wants you to change yourself then he is *definitely* not worth pursuing.

• She is not unnattractive per say... But i am a VERY stubborn person, so i feel as if i would butt heads with you too much to date you :P

• Nope, I actually prefer strong-willed women.

• Well it means that you have a strong personality which is something attractive... But maybe the difference between your opinions would be an issue sometimes

• As long as you respect and are ok with people having a different opinion from you don't worry. Just don't talk as if your opinion is fact.

• Having a long lasting relationship can only work if you are on the same wavelength somehow. If you disagree on many things, that's not gonna happen.

• I think all humans should think on their own and have debates. However if they disagreed on a "CRITICAL" point of argument, I can't see a future for those two.

• It's not attractive lol you have to be careful cuz like you can easily be considered "that annoying whiny bitch" haha if you have a crush just say something I promise you that's the best thing to do

• Well yeah im sure its a turn off for him if he doesn't agree cause then hed see you as whinney and crybabyish but if he agrees then yeah you go girl say whats on yo mind!!!

• Only if their strong opinion directly clash with my own strong opinion.
    Other than that, who cares.

• a educated women with strong beliefs are are sexy

• if he becomes a little biiitch then you shouldn't be together.

• You better have facts to back up your opinion. That's what a debate is, proving why you think a certain way