How would you respond to "why haven't you found a girlfriend yet?" ?

.. or boyfriend if you're a girl.

I'm in my late 20s, and from a conservative cultural background, so it was hard for me to break through and get used to the concept of dating. I had a million more barriers to break down (in terms of with family, society, and self) than with the average person. I had plenty of opportunities when I was younger but couldn't date because of my circumstances, and when I finally conquered those obstacles, I've been meeting the wrong girls :(
It's weird how a lot of girls are interested in dating me but when they ask me in grave shock "WHAT? You've NEVER had a girlfriend? How come?".. they tend to be turned off.. as if something's mentally or sexually wrong with me. There's like an almost instant change in their interest in me.

I really need to know how I can answer this properly.
And people.. please don't troll with answers like "it shouldn't really matter if you never had a relationship".. because trust me, in reality it does matter to a lot of people out there!

Most Helpful Girl

• Having been perpetually single throughout my adult life until just recently, I am commiserate! It's so fucking annoying when people ask "why are you single" because it comes off as really judgmental - like they think there must be something either wrong with me or wrong with my standards... Uh, no, I just have never been the type to bother dating for the sake of dating.. if I'm not feelin' it, I don't keep going with something.

My go-to response when someone would ask "Why are you single?" was always "Because I'm not dating anyone at the moment. I believe that's how it works". Answer a stupid question with a stupid answer :P

What Girls Said 4

• How would you respond to "why haven't you found a boyfriend yet?" ?
    Because I see no reason to genuinely have one.

• They are all boring.

• Mum has asked me "why you not married yet?"

So in a way, just say, "haven't met the one yet"

• "just haven't found the right girl yet? "

What Guys Said 4

• Just say because your hands is all you need

• I just say there's too many hos out there I just gave up.

• "Mind your own business" or ask an equally rude and personal question of them.

• say that i took longer than average to come out of my shell