What distance is considered a long distance relationship (ldr)?

Mine is in the same state.. maybe an hour and a half drive

Most Helpful Guy

• Its not just about distance from home, I think its also about distance from your common routine. In other words, if your address is in New York, but you get flown to California once a week on business and get to see your SO while you're there, that doesn't quite count as a long-distance relationship to me, we'd probably have to call it something else entirely.

A long distance relationship is a relationship wherein you cannot see the other person on a regular basis because your SO lives far out from your ordinary life's boundaries. In such relationships, in-person visits tend to be infrequent and very intentional, because if they happened frequently then a large portion of your life would now revolve around your SO's location, making you someone like in the above example.

There is no exact distance that makes it long-distance, as different people travel more than others and have a wider-span of territory that their life covers. Also, your means of transportation have a big impact on whether or not it is long distance. You could live in the same state as someone who is going through basic training in the military, but if they are not allowed to leave post, that seems like a long distance relationship to me. Likewise, someone could live near you physically, but separated by a body of water and living on an island. Lastly, for people without automobiles or other means of traveling far, someone who is out of walking distance, even if they are only a village away, would be considered to be in a long distance relationship in my opinion.

So, basically if someone owns functional teleporter, long distance relationships don't really exist for all intents and purposes.

What Guys Said 6

• Half way across a state, countries apart or like my last two about 3-5 states apart from one another.

• 200 miles away or more basically...

• An hour drive or more.

• More than an hour drive to meet each other.

• Anything outside driving distance for me... which to me would be 50 miles.

• about 100 miles ( 150 KMS) or so

What Girls Said 3

• I would think anything where you have to drive like 5 hours or more just to see them. I'm in a LDR and the Atlantic ocean is in the way between me and my guy. lol

• I don't know if I could handle that distance. I'm glad it's working for you!

• I've always seen LDR as like the ultimate test to see how much you truly care about someone and how much you really want to be with them.

• If it takes you more than 1 to see someone from your place to their's I feel it's long distance. Not convenient at all.

• If its over an hour away and you only see each other once in awhile, it would be long distance.