Why is it racist?

Let me start by saying I am a 21 year old college student looking for a long term relationship. While I'm looking to date I generally only look for white guys. I am not racist but I am honestly not attracted to most (if not all) of black/mexican/asian/etc. guys. I know it's just my preference but it does get to me when people say in general "It's not a preference, it's racism" or "girls who do that are just stuck up and racist" . I don't know what to do anymore, if they want I can keep that hidden and just ignore their messages. I do know that they can be nice, but I won't date someone I have no attraction for.

Why is this considered racist when It's just my preference?

Do they expect me to go on a date with them (spend money on me), just for me to tell them, "sorry I don't think this can work"?

• This is racist
  • This is just preference (not racist)
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Just call them sexist because a lot of them don't prefer the same sex. I think that'll get the point across quite well. :P

What Guys Said 15

• This is how I see it. If you reject a guy because you're not attracted to him then all is fine and dandy. However if you reject him based on the SOLE fact that he belongs to a certain race, then that is prejudice with racist motive. However race requirement in dating isn't seen as racism by many people: which is why many people refer to it as a "preference". Race requirement in dating isn't hurting society so it's usually chalked up as being ones preference.

The motivation/reasoning behind not dating someone of another race/ethnicity is way more important in deciding whether it's racists/prejudice or not.

• I don't know if you have any interest in a Biblical slant on this matter, but the New Testament tells us to beware of people who make a public display of how pious and righteous they are. These people who are castigating you for stating your preference are simply trying to prove to others how liberal, open-minded, and loving they are by sending a message of hate in your direction.

On the specifics of the issue, I have the same preference as you; I want a companion who I am attracted to, and that just happens to be a member of my own race.

• The word "racist" gets hurled around so much these days that its meaning has been seriously diluted. Don't like NBA basketball? You're a racist. Don't want to listen to the bass emanating from the car next to you in traffic? You're a racist. Call looting rioters "thugs"? You're a racist.

The fact is, you're entitled to date whomsoever you please. It's the only part of life in which we're allowed to discriminate based on the grounds of race, creed, religion, etc, etc. People will discriminate over silly shit like another person's musical choices or the shoes they wear, so discriminating for a good reason (lack of attraction) seems to be very rational by comparison.

• You are an individual, not an equal opportunity dater. You have the right to date who you want, make friends with who you want, etc.

• its not really a preference. I'd probably call it something else. I have a preference for vanilla ice cream over chocolate... but that doesn't mean i absolutely would never have chocolate ice cream. It's your "choice"... which is more than just a simple preference

• If people stopped calling it a preference we might just get somewhere.

• What race are you?

• its like saying i prefer to teach white kids than black kids. Its not racist its just a preference.

or

I prefer to eat near blacks than to eat near whites. Its not racists its just a preference.

• it's preference, don't worry about it

• in this day and age when someone calls you racist its cause they want to have political correctness "power" over you.
    they are seeking control by guilt tripping you.
    it means no more than when north korea threatens america

• people which say it's racist are fools!!

• Its not racist.

• Shallow, very shallow.

• Asker rejects a whole group, not a person.

• It's preference. For example I don't care about ethnicity but I make a big deal about the type of hair they have. It's something that I just can't look past. It doesn't make me a bad person. If people didn't have preferences then there would be no such thing as ugly or beautiful anyone would just screw anyone.

• If you won't consider a non-white at ALL, then it's racism. A preference is just that--a preference, NOT a deal breaker.

What Girls Said 4

• It's not racist. It's a preference. You like what you like and are attracted to whoever you are. Do not listen to people who will try and demean you for something that you can not help.

What I find hilarious is the numerous hypocritical guys out there though.

• It isn't racist at all.

Rac·ist
    ˈrāsəst/
    noun
    noun: racist; plural noun: racists

1.
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

If you simply do not find yourself attracted to guys of another race, then it's not racist at all. It only becomes racist if you don't want to date them because you think their race is somehow inferior or think that you're too good to date a non-white person or want to "keep your bloodline clean".

• It's a preference. It's only racist if it's based on prejudice.

• It's not necessarily racist, it really can just be a preference, but some people try to excuse their racism as personal taste. Like my old roommate wouldn't date black guys because she didn't trust them and felt unsafe around minorities. Wish I were kidding. But she swore she wasn't racist, she just had certain preferences.

But if you genuinely just don't find certain features attractive, and it doesn't have to do with stereotypes or prejudice, that's fine.

Just be honest with yourself and make the best decisions you can. Don't waste time trying to appease other people if they're just misunderstanding you.