Should I feel embarrassed to be dating a military woman (female soldier) who's overprotective of me?

It is often the men who are expected by society to do all of this for women (being a hero and being overprotective of them). In my case, the gender roles are reversed. I've actually attempted to enlist in the military before but I was permanently DQ'd for medical reasons. My girlfriend on the other hand, never cared if whether or not I served and more about me as an individual man. She seems to really often care about my physical and emotional well-being for the past 3 months of dating.

It's funny because I used to generalize military women as women who become desensitized (morally and emotionally) and not as maternal after serving in the military.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• There you go. You said it. It doesn't matter what the "expectations" of society is, there is nothing wrong with going against the traditional gender roles.

You should be damned proud and happy that a woman is like that to you regardless if she's a military woman or not.

• Yeah I guess. I mean she seems to be very protective of me because of the neighborhood areas that I live in, which is a dangerous area with dark alleys. I don't know if it's her maternal insticts or her military experience that causes her to be very protective of me.

• I don't think a lot of guys know that women have an instinct to protect you as well. Even without military training and it isn't necessarily maternal.

We want to help protect those we care about just like guys do.

What Girls Said 3

• You should never feel ashamed of your significant other.

• Put some poison in her coffee. Do the world a favour.

• No that means she loves (or likes) you very much and doesn't want you to
    Be hurt ☺️

What Guys Said 4

• Of course not. Listening to society tends to make people very, very unhappy because they don't do what *they* want to do, they don't get to act and feel as *they* wish to. Especially with gender roles, men and women are told at a young age that "men are this way" and "women are that way". Society is absolutely full of crap and people of both genders have issues when nature comes into the picture, because gender roles are made up not by nature, but by society. If you are happy with this woman then you should not be embarrassed at all. The two of you should go out into the world and be as you desire to be, not as the world wishes you to be. Be true to yourself, and though some doors may close shut, the ones that are worth entering will surely swing open.

• Yeah I guess. I mean she seems to be very protective of me because of the neighborhood area that I live in, which is a dangerous area with dark alleys. I don't know if it's her maternal insticts or her military experience/background that causes her to be very protective of me.

• hell no! id love if i had a girl that cared about me that much

• yes, it means you're beta.