GUYS who prefer females 6+ inches shorter than them: does it bother you that you're dooming your future sons to be extra short?

for those who don't know what I'm talking about: the height of a female is determined more by the height of her father and the height of males by their mothers.

I just find it odd with how much guys on here obsess over their own heights that so many guys actually prefer female half a foot or more shorter than them. it's just really bizarre.

• no, it doesn't bother me at all.
  • yes, it bother me.
  • other.

Most Helpful Guy

• My mom = 5'5"

My father = 5'10"

My sistet = 5'7"

Me = 6'4"

A person's height is determined by a lot more than just their patents' dominant genes. Both parents could very easily be carrying recessive genes passed on from previous ancestors, which could lead to a much taller child.

If both patents dominant genes resulted in them being short, but they each pass on a recessive gene to their child, that child could end up being much taller than them.

Genetics is a little bit more complicated than "short parents equals short child".

What Guys Said 15

• The fact that you think that guys are thinking about the height of their children when they are looking for a girl means you have a lot to learn about guys...

• I am a man who's about proportions.
    As long as the proportions are right , I see someone as attractive. The question of height rarely comes into my mind unless she's a 6'3 Amazonian warrior princess.

• I don't know a whole lot of guys who care about height differences. It's certainly not a big factor to me. If there are a lot of guys concerned about that, I haven't seen it.

Anyway, I'm not out to create a master race. If I were I'd have to look also for a pretty woman with no psychological or health-related problems. I'd rather just raise my kids so that their self-esteem isn't determined by features they can't control. Of course, saying that is easier than doing it properly.

• It doesn't bother me because I created the universe

• I always look for something height appropriate lol
    Ideally she should at "least" be average.
    I can only hope he takes my height haha

• That's not true, I am 6 inches taller than my mother and my brother is 5 inches taller than her as well. He is the same height as my dad, and I am the same height as my grandfather on my dad's side. If I got my height from women on my mom's side I would be 5'6, which is my mother's height, or 5'4, which is my grandmother's height. And I don't know a single a guy who isn't as tall or taller than his father, even if he's mother is like 5'2.

• guys are always talker than their mothers, unless they have dwarfism. however, her height will determine if you grow tall or not.

• Well I did, so if you are right that mothers are indeed the factor on how tall her son will grow, then why are there men like me, my brother, and most men I know, who have short to average height mothers, exist? And why have we grown on average an inch and a half since the 1950's? Women were 5'3 on average, and men were 5'9. If what you say is true why wouldn't the average man lose an inch on average, instead? And most men, who have a preference with height, don't like tall women, so wouldn't I be putting my daughters at a disadvantage for the sake of my sons? That doesn't sound fair.

• then how many guys dwarf their moms? :-P

• are you asking how many guys are shorter than their mothers?

• if so, they may still end up taller than her, if the father is tall, but if she's really short, the son will most likely be really short too.

• no no... i mean most guys i know r way taller than their moms... so how "the height of a female is determined more by the height of her father and the height of males by their mothers." could b true? o_O

• I doubt that's true. All my friends are like 6ft+, and most of their moms are short.

• That'd be 4'10 gal since I'm 5'4" That'd be interesting

• is that a dwarf? it's possible you could fall in love with one. ;)

• I don't think so. Then again, I'm not sure if that height is a dwarf. I actually took a picture with a waitress at Twin Peaks and she seemed to be 6 inches shorter tha I was (she came up to my mouth or something).

• Anyone who has taken DNA 101 knows it doesn't quite work that way.

Wikipedia: Punnett Square

• It's nothing like that to me.
    if i really like someone then i guess it won't matter.

• i dont care what size they as long as heir personality is good then im happy all round

• Are you sure? My mom is 5'7" and my dad and I are both 6'2"

• My wife is 5" 3" and a half, heh. I am 6'0". My boys are both 6'1" at least. My girl is 5'4".

• I voted C, I don't care how tall a girl is. (Within reason... 4' to 6' is fine.)

While I could see being short would things harder for my future sons (I'm short myself) that wouldn't stop me getting with a short woman... we'll just have to hope for daughters.

"the height of a female is determined more by the height of her father and the height of males by their mothers."

I hadn't heard that before, I'd thought the influence was equal.

My dad was 5'5, my mother's 5'6 and 5'7 - my brother got the sexy genes, he's 5'11.

• Do women who go after super tall guys worry that their daughters will have a hard time? (You might not be one of them, but I thinks an interesting question.) Of course female height doesn't matter as much.

• clearly it matters just as much, considering guy are the ones who obsess over height and prefer a much shorter female.

• Well I'm not one of them, and think there are fewer guys than girls that have minimum/maximum height requirements.

What Girls Said 6

• "the height of a female is determined MORE by the height of her father and the height of males by their mothers"

Where did you get that info? :O
    AFAIK they are determined equally by both and you produce 'mean' height in both daughters and sons.

I find this behavior bizarre too. I always thought I was too short. Never would I have thought I'd be in the desired height range. :O

I think you desire what you lack or hate in yourself. If you're taller than the average men (5'10), you want shorter than the average woman (5'5), subconsciously hoping that your children will become 'more average/normal' and less ridiculed. The same goes for women who find themselves too short.

As soon as you've made peace with your height, and actually even like your height, you will like shorter men/taller women, because you subconsciously want children who turn out to be like you, height-wise.

I'm ignoring the fact now that some men wish to be taller than 6 feet, because they think they can get all the girls at that height. This is like women wishing to be model skinny, because they think they can get all the guys with that body size.

• I thought both parents contributed to the height. Both me and my sister are taller than my mom. I'm nearly 5'8 and my boyfriend is 6'3. Our daughter is 11 months but the height of an 18 month old. She will probably be tall and skinny because she is now lol

• I'm short but I'm pretty sure my son will be average to tall. My mom is 5'3" but my brother is 6'2"... there's so much more to it I think.
    besides, even if my son is short he'll be ridiculously handsome and a good fighter... it's all good.

• Uh I'm sorry what? My parents are both average height and yet my sister and I stand at 5'1 and 5'2

My aunt is an inch or two shorter than me, married an average height dude, and all their sons are average or above average in height.

• www.disabled-world.com/.../height-chart.shtml

there are always exceptions, guys are almost always taller than their mothers, but still don't grow to be that tall if she's much shorter than the father.

I'm not saying anything against dating a woman much shorter, I just find it an interesting preference since so many guys blame height on issues in their lives (on gag anyway).

• Too bad I'm not having kids. At 6ft I would give birth to some tall ass sons

• Don't worry, you and I share the same fate. The only way I'll probably have kids is accidental.

• @i_am_repulsive yeah but I'm all messed up in there so it's physically impossible for me anyway :\ it's okay tho I dont want em anyway

• We could always compromise for dogs or any other pet.

• So height should be criteria for falling in love? I'm 5feet and have generally always dated guys 6feet or taller, but height is a nonissue lol I'd date a guy who is my height as long as he's a good person and cares for me
    Plus, you fail to state that many people are not 'naturally' short but short due to factors such as scoliosis (this is true in my case). As such, a short person will not always produce a short child