Where did "nice guys finish last" come from?

Sorry I know there are a lot of questions on this site about "nice guys finishing last" but why exactly is that a thing? Like I never understood why a girl would refuse to date 'nice guys'. I obviously have no experience with dating so I wouldn't know.
why exactly do nice guys finish last?

I've heard of cases where girls would be best friends with a guy and found them attractive but still refused to date them. Why?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 7

• To my knowledge it's a reference to a very old quote "The famous sports quote “Nice guys finish last” has long been attributed to legendary baseball player and manager Leo Durocher. But for decades there has been a debate about whether he actually said it." (www.thisdayinquotes.com/.../...s-finish-last.html) that has nothing to do with dating.

"[T]he Giants, led by Mel Ott, began to come out of their dugouts... I called off his players’ names as they came marching up the steps behind him, “Walker, Cooper, Mize, Marshall, Kerr, Gordon, Thompson. Take a look at them. All nice guys. They’ll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last... Give me some scratching, diving hungry ballplayers who came to kill you... That’s the kind of guy I want playing for me.”

The adaptation for dating came from the embodiment of aggression and competition for female attention in later years as well as such for business, which of course men fight over: Money and Women.

• It's not always about relationships, when some guy is being too nice at work he could lose a promotion or a raise because he helped someone out instead of helping himself. But the guys who live by "nice guys always finish last" motto, tend to take it too far and are complete dickheads to everyone. Of course they finish first, but with what cost to your social life? I would rather finish second and make some friends along the way, instead of only caring about others or saying fuck you to everyone that comes my way.

• that's a stupid myth that some people consider it a fact basically... weird if u ask me... o_O

• It's not true.. it's just a basic myth that some people believes.. I'm probably one of the nicest guy out there and I don't ever really retaliate at all, and I certainly did not come last when it comes to dating and relationships.

• They get the used goods "bad boys" throw away. Or at least that's the logic behind it. I don't necessarily agree with it.

• Most men take advice from other men about women and most women take advice from other women about the opposite gender so there ya go.

• People get confused between a man being nice or mean vs. being confident or not confident. Women love confidence more than any thing and assholes are often confident and nice guys often are not. Now if you're confident and friendly you've got it made.

What Girls Said 5

• See, before men and women are mature, the options that women see in men seem to be really polarized as in either a guy is "nice" (usually a pushover who worships the ground she walks on that she just isn't into) or bold "bad boys" (overcompensatingly manly men ridden with insecurities) who they know will break their hearts but may at least seem more adventurous and/or physically attractive. The thing is though that neither option is healthy because one type of guy puts you on a pedestal while the other expects you to put them on the pedestal.

As people mature, we realize that it is not that simple though. All people are flawed and even healthy individuals are not necessarily compatible.

In conclusion, this concept is just an adolescent mentality that some people do not outgrow. When we realize that no one is entitled to love and that it is not a race, that is when we stop making excuses about being alone and just accept that we haven't met the right person. I mean there is nothing wrong with finishing last if the journey is worth it and you like who you end up with.

• People always make quotes that are true according to their lives.

That quote is subjective.
    Because of that , some believe it to be true because that is the story of their life.

• Women like and only go for the "bad boys", apparently. I don't agree though.

• maybe that one song

• Hollywood, movies and books like 50 shades of grey.