What if your SO proposed with a used diamond ring?

If your SO proposed to you with a used diamond ring, how would you feel?

• Crappy, obviously my SO is cheap or thinks I am.
  • Ok, but only if it was their grandmothers or mom's, because those really mean something
  • I'd be okay with it
  • Terrific, they're smart about managing money wisely and love me
  • Just show me the answers

Most Helpful Girl

• I would be happy because they love me.

• i really like your answer. It identifies the focus - love, not material possessions and/or the correlation of those possessions to self worth.

What Girls Said 7

• i believe in juju.. i wouldn't want someone elses ring... unless if ws part of the family and had no bad history behind it...

• Hmm. If juju were the rationale, what if it came from a very happy couple (say married for sixty years, happily) with no kids, who believed it wasteful to be buried with such things and left it to it to a complete stranger (your SO)?

• plus, you can always get it personalized a little, make it new or unique or special

• Nope, sounds way healthier than simple materialism. Kind of gives you a happy story to think about in addition to your own, when you look at, I suppose.

• I would only be okay with it if it was their mother's or grandmother's. Something with significant meaning. I know it sounds superficial, but if it wasn't it would honestly feel less special.

• if it was family passed down ring how sweet

• If it was like an heirloom that was passed through generations that means a lot and has some emotional value.

• I would totally be okay with it. I'm actually married and we don't even have rings yet, because for us, we wanted to save the money. We have goals that we've set together and it's more important to us to work on reaching those than to accumulate material things.

• I won't feel good coz it's my engagement ring and it has to be new. I want to be the first to wear that ring.

• If you were required to buy him something of equal value and had no choice on how much he spent, how much would you hope he spent, what would you buy him and how would you approach saving up for it?

• If it was passed down in the family, I would be okay with it, since it means a lot to his family. I wouldn't want it if it was some stranger's ring, though. I mean, think about it. They should have kept the ring if they stayed together, but some other man proposed to some other woman with the ring, and I don't really want to think about it like that.

• So, will you only live in brand new apartments and brand new houses? Because, if you think about it, some other couple has probably lived there. I've never understood pricely when something goes from just an old and worthless thing to antique with increasing value. Is it because after some point in time, a sufficient number decides they want/like it? Regardless, I think it's a good thing that there are varied tastes amongst us. Choice is a vary valuable thing.

What Guys Said 4

• Just skip the stupid diamond ring. The diamond engagement ring is a 20th century creation of the DeBeers diamond cartel. Save the money and buy a house or travel. Or just invest it and on your 20th anniversary take the money and do something fabulous.

• If two people loved one another, clearly neither of them would give half a damn about some ring.

• she'd most likely dump you.

Females need materials that are new and expensive. Without them then females are cheap, and they don't like being cheap.

• If so, it would probably be my gain. I don't need someone who measures their self worth with material possessions, particularly expensive gifts.

• It's supposed to be the thought that counts so they should all be ok with it.