Do you guys believe in online dating?

I know there are aspects of it that are considered a red flag, but there has also been some great testimonials. What do you guys think?

• Yes
  • No
  • Had a bad experience
  • Somewhat
  • It is better to meet people through hobbies/social events

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people that are online dating have a shitty personality to be honest and probably thats why they're on there

What Guys Said 17

• I voted "A", but in this day of age, online dating seems to the way to go. People in their 20's are the least social people these days (established fact) and most people connect on the internet. I know many people who meet on Facebook and other social networking sites too.

I haven't been successful online though. I've messaged hundreds of girls and have had virtually no responses, these were on sites OkCupid and Plentyoffish. But I haven't had any more success in real life either.

• I'm not against online dating at all. In fact my aunt found her husband online. I wouldn't want to try it though. To me it feels like giving up on the chase. I don't want to be set up with somebody, I want to find that somebody. Saying you met online takes away from the story.

• No because I have a friend (yes an actual friend and not myself) that tried online dating and the thing about on-line dating is that if you're already good looking enough and simply lack the confident then you'd do okay, however if you're somewhat "less attracted" of some sort, then you got no chance in hell. He messaged approximately 30 girls just saying hi, and he only got one message from a girl saying "Sorry not interested. move along now". He did much better just by going to clubs, bar or even the gym. So yeah... I don't believe in online dating crap.

• Good for your friend. My co worker is online too and hasn't received much feedback from females on the sight. He sends messages to women, I do not understand why this happens to some people. I tried online again after a shitty circumstance, but I do not place a lot of faith in it either. The fact that I am twenty, pretty and never been in a relationship is mind boggling in my opinion. I get a lot of replies, but I am still single. I am unlucky I guess.

• A good profile photo is key. I'm really not that attractive in my own opinion... Handsome face, maybe, but overweight. We just clicked. We both have social anxiety, so the online thing helped break the ice. The photo is only the first draw... Your profile is equally as important.

Trust me, I spent months on Plenty of Fish and OKCupid with only a few responses to A LOT of letters and two dates.

• For what it's worth, the site we met on was a paid Catholic dating site, so we already had that in common, and we were both looking for someone to marry. Your mileage will vary wildly.

• I wouldn't consider it a reg flag. I'm quite introverted, is that a red flag? o.0

It is better to get with people you see often though hobbies and stuff, but it's not at all convenient. Some people just don't do those things or don't find anyone when they do.

Just don't get invested in someone that's too far away it makes the natural progression of things very difficult. I believe shared experiences are very important and you can't do stuff together very often when you live too far apart.

• Valid point. I am an introvert myself, I love being engrossed in my thoughts and listening to music. If you partake in a hobby, do it to enjoy something you have a passion for, not in hopes of finding mr./ms. right.

• Valid point. Do me a favor and stop contradicting my thoughts 🙈

• Nien!
      It seems I can help it. :P

What thoughts am I contradicting exactly? Enlighten me.

• I met a cool girl that I ended up buying 5 goats from at a GREAT price. So you better believe I, uh, believe in online dating.

• Its 100% bullshit

• Never tried to day anyone online but I guess why not

• I don't think it's the best place to find love, but anyway if you did find someone then who cares if it's online or not

• I met my fiancée on a Catholic dating site.

• Obviously religious dating websites are better because they're serious unlike the non religious ones

• I would argue that paid sites are "better" in general (religious or not) simply because the people are more serious about it. Free sites are a good source of ego boosts for a lot of people.

Not all paid sites are good, though.

• My case was kind of extraordinary... I bit the bullet and bought a six month subscription (after having very little luck after months of using PoF and OKCupid). Literally two days later, she saw my photo on the homepage wall of newly uploaded photos and sent me a message. The rest is history. We are 1000 miles apart, so there's really no way I would have found her otherwise. My idea of long distance searching was across the state, not across the country... Haha.

• I'm trying it right now so I hope it works. I don't think it's superior or inferior to real life dating.

• I can't figure out why there'd be a difference between mediums.

• I tried. I really did. Women just never respond.

• They want a guy with money thats where the gold diggers and women who want male models are at

• Not true at all

• It exists, yeah.

• Yes I have been in an online relationship before and it went beyond that as well. Gotta love technology.

• It works for me! :D
    So yes I believe in online dating.

• whatever works for you i guess

• That's how I met my wife, we have a daughter and have been together for 12 years!

What Girls Said 6

• I have only met one or two partners offline, most of my partners I've met online. I think its pretty good yeah.

• I don't really believe in online dating.

• I think it works if people want it to or give it enough tries.

• Yes I believe in it. I mean of course it may be different when you meet in real life, but it's important to video chat, talk on the phone, etc. so you know somewhat how they talk and move in real life.

• I have only had one successful relationship online and it was with a girl, not a guy... so it works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't...

• No, online dating is for people who can't date in real life

• It's not that they can't date it just spreads your variety on women/men but the only catch is you have to have cash your own place and be a male model with a sixpack

• @your_boss960 People your age (and my age) pretty much only meet online these days. Quit living under a rock: The internet IS our lives.