Would someone's religion (or lack thereof) affect the chances of you ending up in a relationship with them?

This is just out of curiosity.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on her level of "devotion".

If she utilizes religion for it's networking capacity and personal enlightenment (reflection and introspection), I can respect that. Religious institutions are powerful networks, and spending a Sunday morning thinking about "the meaning of life" hard to bash, even though the medium is terrible and archaic.

But once she applies "God logic" to her rationale, it's probably not going to work. "These oranges were on sale at Albertsons, God is watching me!" <_SMH.

What Girls Said 13

• I wouldn't date an extremist or even just crazy on either end. I'm atheist myself, but I don't wanna be with someone who thinks all religious people are stupid or should die.
    On the other hand, I wouldn't wanna date a religious person who thought every atheist was evil and that I need to be "saved".

It only affects the chances if they're crazy or overzealous (atheist or religious).

• I'm not ever dating an atheist again. Once was enough to teach me to be more careful. My current boyfriend is pagan so it's been interesting to see things from a new perspective.

• Not dramatically. I would prefer an atheist like myself. But I'd date/marry someone of a different religion

• I won't date a religious person.

• Most religions prevent you from being with someone not of your religion.

It's common sense. If I'm, say, Buddist, and I marry someone who isn't, we will have different views about almost everything. It would not be a harmonious relationship.

• Yes, I'm a Christian and strongly prefer to be with a Christian guy as well.

• Yes. Because some religions are so fundamentally different from mine that it makes the chances of marriage nil.

• I wouldn't date a religious person.

• no, i wouldn't care if they followed a different religion or if they were not religious
    i think it would only make things really complicated if you got married to someone who had different religious beliefs to you

• Well, yes. Someone being religious makes that chance a lot lower. Them being fundamentalist or extremely religious is an instant deal breaker.

• Yeah, there are specific religions I don't want to be associated with since they're belief is too far from what I believe in.

• Yes, as a person who has relied only on God and Jesus to get her through a difficult time in my life, I could never see myself with someone who was an atheist. I don't think I could get on with someone who has no internal faith and hope engine.

• Anything but an atheist/satanist
    I'd only date people who have faith of any kind.

What Guys Said 13

• Yes. I'm not a religious person. I all for being with someone religious but they can't be overly religious especially to the point that they want to preach to me all the time and try to get me to go to church every Sunday and Wednesday or whenever other days they go.

• Mostly depends on their beliefs about dating someone wuth different religious thoughts. Me, no big deal.

• depends how xtreme her religion is basically... especially if she's a member of a religious cult that would b a big "no"

• I am a Christian and I will not date anyone unless they also are a Christian.

• Of course it would but for long-term only. If it short-term relationship then it doesn't even matter.

• I would prefer to date someone who is not a follower of any religions.

• I would not date a person who only dates me for diversity causes.

• Yeah cause a lot of people are sensitive about their religious belief's.

• I'm agnostic and my girlfriend is christian! You'd think that would end badly, but her advice has saved me quite a few times! She's very open minded and she interprets the bible rather than following it word by word like it's indisputable fact!

• No atheist for me.

• depends if they are like in a crazy cult then no

• Yeah maybe

• If they were overly religious, then yes that might stop me. But otherwise no, it's not that big of a deal for me.

People that are really religious tend to have that conflict with those who aren't as religious or are non-religious. So it's usually just easier to not get involved with that sort of potential drama. Many religions either overtly state or create an environment that causes people to stick to their "own" and divide people into groups of "us" and "them".

So I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like a very comfortable and close relationship lol