Would you, or have you, dated anyone that was bipolar?

Why or why not? if you have, what was it like?

Most Helpful Guy

• I was married to a woman diagnosed as bipolar. She spent most of her time in a depressed fugue state, and a minority of her time in mania.

When she was depressed she could not care for herself, (not bathing and barely eating). She certainly had difficulty caring for our toddler son. There are times when he completely tore the apartment up. Sometimes leaving no carpet uncovered.

Ironically, the only time when she was completly free of mental and emotional disorder was when she was pregnant. If she could have stayed pregnant for the rest of her life that would have been as good as a cure.

When she was in mania, that is when she cheated on me, she had affairs with many men. She even resorted to prostitution. She associated these difficulties with being married to me so she abandonded me and our son.

The final straw was when we were in financial distress I gave her $1400 dollars to pay a debt. Instead of doing that she gave the money to one of her former johns.

At that point, I realized that her behavior was not only a threat to me but more importantly a threat to our son.

I divorced her, and obtained custody of our son. She has been living on the margins ever since.

I was foolishly willing to sacrifice my own well being to stay with her. I was not willing to sacrifice the well being of my son.

What Guys Said 3

• Bipolars are WAY too much drama, unless they stay on their medications and never say fuck it, I don't need this shit anymore (which is what usually happens.)

• I'm Bipolar so i have dated other girls who had similar illnesses as me

• I never would

What Girls Said 7

• I liked this guy who was really bipolar. He was kinda crazy towards everyone except for me. I dont think it was worth giving it a go tho because I didn't want him to go bezerk on me anytime soon

• I am bipolar... haha. I would totally date someone that was bipolar, though. I have a lot of mental health issues/disorders so if I said no to dating someone with one of them, then I'd be a real asshole, LoL.

• No. My dad is and after living with him for so long, I would NOT date someone who was bipolar.

• You have to remember that there are two types of Bipolar. Bipolar I and Bipolar II. If you truly love someone, look into their disorder and how to deal with it. Make sure they're taking medication, visiting doctors, seeing therapists if needed and just being there for the person during their highs and lows makes everything better.

• I have bipolar. I just /love/ seeing people talk about people with bipolar like they're trash .

• You're 15 years old.. Have you been diagnosed?

• Yes. I have. For your information. No, I'm just going to wake up one day and randomly decide I'm bipolar.. And stop bringing up my age. This isn't schizophrenia, you can have bipolar at wicked early ages.

• But you are a beautiful girl so that shouldn't matter...

• No, because with my issues and
    Theirs, that might not be a healthy relationship

• sounds like drama