Why do guys (usually high schoolers / college guys) spend a lot money on their girlfriends in the beginning?

BEFORE YOU SAY "because girls like guys who have money", STOP! Most girls don't give a shit but when you buy them stuff early on, some start expecting it.

I think it's somewhat dumb that some guys spend a load on their girlfriend that they've been dating for like a week (when they barely know them). This one guy for example I used to have classes with was complaining about spending $100+ dollars on his girlfriend at the mall when they literally only dated for a week. I asked him why and he was just like "idk". She never asked him for anything either; he just decided to buy her something expensive. Idek if they dated a month, but I just wouldn't spend a lot of money on a relationship at the beginning.

it could be a cultural thing with him though I don't know but he's Bosnian and I'm pretty sure his fam has money.

tbh if a guy bought me something super expensive, I might not accept it. If I do, it'll only be bc I feel "guilty" for not appreciating it which I would appreciate it but not feel worthy of it. I would feel pressure to have to buy him a gift too. I just think any pricy or material gifts shouldn't be given at the beginning of relationships bc it creates expectations.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because lots of guys believe that the girl is doing them a favor by going out with him, and they think they have to ply her with gifts just to make her like him. Mostly it comes from a combination of being a caring person and having low self-esteem.

What Guys Said 4

• Because that's the only thing most girls in high school, college, or beyond really respond to! At least, if we're talking the USA.

• Nah, most guys don't want to be "bought". They appreciate the gifts but they feel like the person doesn't want to put in real effort

• I don't know what world your living in but girls do like guys with money.

• You're** & most girls don't have that on their mind. When they do, it's usually a security / stability type thing. They don't want a freeloader

• Some guys think women are machines that if you put enough money in sex will fall out.

• Because then they don't think we like them. There was a girl that litterly complained that her boyfriend didn't get her presents.

• That's actually a lie. If you put effort into the relationship by just spending time, showing affection, etc she'll know you like her. Gifts don't mean shit. Anyone can buy someone a gift and the girl probably complained bc she has gotten a bunch of gifts before as a way of "affection" so it became an expectation

What Girls Said 2

• To try to show them that he really cares. I agree though, expensive things should be saved for when the relationship gets more serious.

• Buying affection is a tactic to get someone to like you. It can also be a form of impressing someone. It's all apart of the typical guy's courting process.