Any advice dating a guy with a child?

I am dating a guy, 26, with a baby boy who is 3. We've been together for about 3 months now and I have spent time with his son for a good percentage of the times we are together. I do my best to include him in the things we do but I know that his father wants to do our 1 on 1 dates occassionally too when the child is with his mother. I don't have much experience with little children. I worked in the churches childrens ministry with 4-6 year olds and I did birthday parties for 7-13 year olds... This is different though. It is hard at times because his son is terrirtorial with his dad in a sense and while we have our great times together, there are times where I am just like, "I have no idea what I am doing.". lol I'm not trying to play a mothers role so that thought isn't meant in that sense but I don't know. I want to be more comfortable I guess.

Any advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• Become the kid's best friend. That's the most beneficial for all of you.

What Guys Said 1

• Behave like an aunt.

What Girls Said 1

• Play the babysitter role. Try to make him laugh and when he's around engage in his play.