Would you date a Muslim?

I know dating isn't common amongst the Muslim community however there are a handful of Muslims that do date. Today's media usually gives muslims an unfair and negative depiction.

This is all coming from a video on YouTube I saw where a girl gives a guy her number but then freaks out when she finds out he's a Muslim.
If you want to check it out it's on "are we famous now" channel.

What's your take on this?

By the way I don't necessarily mean religious Muslims, just people that are Muslim at heart and that hold some cultural and religious beliefs.

20

Most Helpful Girl

• I did for several months. Kindest most gentle guy in the world.

What Girls Said 19

• I don't mind it.

• It wouldn't be an issue for me, as long as they're not an extremist (this goes for any religion/belief system) and could respect my beliefs.

• Haha I'm pretty sure an extremist wouldn't date...

• I don't know about that but I'm talking about "not that religious" Muslims.

• If they can accept me for who I am, then it wouldn't be a problem.

• Nope, never.

• Reason being I am an atheist, and that tends not to fly with Muslim gents.

• I thought Muslims aren't allowed to date. There are liberal muslims who are open minded but not many. Muslims with no pent up ANGER and act defensive at all times.

• No. I would prefer to date someone who shares my beliefs. I would not date a Muslim because although that one person may be a great person and not an extremist, more than likely the rest of the family or a member of the family would be holding very religious convictions/beliefs and I would never want to deal with that. My adoptive father was Greek and married an American woman. His family wouldn't even acknowledge me because we were not Greek. He is a very sweet, loving man but his entire family (except his dad-who passed when I was young) never accepted us and that hurt.

• Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

• No. I would not.

• Why? Because of cultural differences meaning you wouldn't have much in common or something else?

• the media gives a lot of us negative depictions unfortunately. anyway, I absolutely would. I'd gone on a date once with a handsome muslim guy in the past. as long as a guy is good, then I could care less about his religious preferences, race, etc

• born a muslim converted dads side is muslim but im very sorry I really wouldn't until I could trust him with my life I would recommend but just remember you have to be her friend befor her boyfriend xxx

• not with the whole Isis crap and stuff sorry but they have an awful reputation as being players and killers so he'll no!

• Yeah but a group of terrorists doesn't represent over 1.5 billion people... that's like saying the kkk represent all Christians.

• Sorry don't mean to be rude just totally freaks me out!! I don't know also they culture is generally tough with women! I wouldn't date a Russian either for the same reason. But hey good luck

• I don't think it would be a problem for me to be honest. As long as we are compatible, of course.

• No, I wouldn't

• I wouldn't. I would prefer to date someone who shares my religious beliefs.

• Yes I would, providing the religious differences didn't bring an unbearable strain

• Probably not. I'd prefer to date someone who is an atheist. I disagree with a lot of their beliefs as well so I don't see it working out.

• Yeah, I would. I don't care what race you are if I find you attractive. That's probably because I'm very mixed so my parents wouldn't mind at all.

• I'm not sure if were dating yet but met a muslim guy on a dating website and he's an absolute gentleman. I have muslim best girl friends, but never known a muslim guy closely. Its the only thing about him that bothers me unfortunately 😞

• I probably wouldn't. I have a friend at uni that is Muslim, he is very sweet, polite and kind to pretty much everyone. He's attractive as well. But some of his family members are more traditional, and I wouldn't want to cause a rift/tension in either of our families. I still care about him, he's a great friend.

• i dont think its preconceived that woman are badly oppressed in most muslim countries. its just a fact.

• I agree in many places including non Muslim countries, women are treated less than equal. This however does not necessarily reflect the teachings of Islam. To my understanding opression of women is not a religious aspect but a cultural one.

Certain rules like not being able to drive are a representation of a certain country like Saudi.

• well i don't understand how to separate the religious and cultural part especially places where they are tied so closely together. Sorry to say as muslim countrys stay as backwards as they are you will have an uphill fight trying to prove you are not like them.

Do you think woman should be treated as equals?

• Of course women should be treated equally?
      I believe women are treated quite well in countries like Turkey, Indonesia or Bangladesh as opposed to Saudi or Pakistan, they really need to fix up.

• No. I like to drive and dress the way I want.

• This is what I was referring to, there is a preconceived notion that all Muslims are misogynistic, barbaric people that want to take over the world. This is completely false by the way.

Also im talking about that are not necessarily religious but hold some cultural and religious beliefs.

• It's not an assumption. Muslim women typically are shunned from driving and in some Muslim countries it is illegal. They also must wear garments that cover them from head to toe. For me I still would not date one but I also wouldn't date any person affiliated with any religion

• Not some, only Saudi Arabia. Most Muslims choose to wear to cover, to be modest. Which is what Muslim women I know have told me.