Would you go on a date someone with whom you did not share a common language?

I've been on dates with people who did not speak English, though I spoke her language, and I've been on dates with people who did not speak English as a first language or had difficulties working in English. I'm right now worried about going on a date with someone who does not speak English, nor do I have the luck to speak her native language.

The only common ground we share is some stilted Chinese, hers being better than mine, although it is to the point where we could make very small talk. However, once it gets beyond that, I have fears of great chasms of silence between us, the only noise being the ruffling of paper and the beeping of electronics as we check dictionaries to make sure we're understanding one another correctly.

I don't really know this girl very well, although she is clearly into me and I wouldn't be averse to going out with her for lunch or something, but I'm worried that the linguistic and cultural divide (she's Korean) would really make an for an awkward time. She also happens to be in my class, and I get the impression that if I went out with her once she would think I'm her boyfriend and I would go out with her again for another silent time, because I am too wimpy to be assertive in this kind of situation.

So, to it: is it worth trying to break through the tangles of cultural and linguistic divide to give this a shot, or should I just leave the whole thing as it lies right now?

Most Helpful Girl

• Iwell my friend who is an american white girl is with a cuban man.He treats her good, she is good to him ,they are both good to thier children.Even though I was at thier home one day and she asked him to bring her the cordless phone and he brought her a dish towel.lol They are in a very happy and healthy relationship

What Girls Said 4

• I would actually prefer to date a guy whos first language wasn't english. But only if he can speak some english or I could speak the other language. Otherwise it wouldn't work, so I don't get how you two will work if you can hardly talk to each other.

• just go with your gut.

but have no idea why you would want to date a girl you can't speak to

• Sure, I think it'd be fun to try out. Of course, there's a slight chance it would work out but I'm sure you're aware of that already.

• No what for? How would you communicate? Too messy. There are a million people who speak English so why would I go out with someone who doesn't speak the same language?

What Guys Said 2

• I received my first kiss from a Greek girl who only knew Greek. (I don't know more Greek than needed to survive in the dining room of a small restaurant)

• I don't see what the problem is. If you have deep feelings for each other, you'll learn to refine the language you do have in common.