Would you date somebody if you found they deal with depression?

The title explains it all. Is it a deal breaker? Even if you liked the person before you found out?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not a deal breaker to me, I suffered through it pretty badly when my father was overseas and the house was in rough shape family wise many, many years ago. It got so bad I tried to commit suicide ( I am fine now though ) so I know what it is like, especially when you are going at it alone, and how the tiniest thing can send you over the edge. I still get depressed every once in a while but no were near as bad.

Anyway no it would bother me as much as it would an average person, I'd do my best to help them and lend them my support, I know that even just one person supporting you when you are going through it can make a major difference.

What Guys Said 7

• Not a deal breaker. The important thing to do is to communicate. Let your partner know what you're going through so that they would know what they're dealing with.

• That honestly depends on how bad it is.

• Of course I would. I'd be there to help her through the tough times

• No depression seems pretty normal.

• sure, every one has their own separate issues that you accept

• depends on how much depression she has to deal with...

• It would depend on how that depression is affecting her outlook and demeanor.

What Girls Said 8

• Yeah sure. It's not a deal breaker. As long as they knew how to take care of themselves (medication, therapy) and that it didn't influence the relationship negatively. Besides everyone has off periods in life. It happens to almost everyone. It's a bit unfair in my opinion to judge someone on that. My mother has chronic depression and when she's on her medication she's like any normal person.

• I'd try but I don't think itd be healthy for myself bc I've witnessed my mother go through it and my grandmother and a few of my aunts and I'll get wrapped up in trying to make them happy. I understand it's their own thing to conquer and it wouldn't be my fault but I'll try to fix it for them in turn stressing myself out.

• Yes, I would. Definitely not a deal breaker. I'd make sure they'd have all the love and support I could provide :]

• Yes because they are at least being honest about it... almost everyone in this world suffers from some form of anxiety or depression and more often than not, they won't admit it.

• No, I wouldn't

• It's a dealbreaker for me...

• That depends. Are they suicidal?

• Reading the comments. Guys would date females with depression, where as girls said no. Hats off to all you gentlemen.
    I suffer from depression, manic depression to be exact. I have had to take anti-depressants since I was 10 years old. I've had a few boyfriends dump me after they found out.
    I do believe it's not about the depression but how the individual deals with it.